Whats wrong with sampling new shit?

I don't care at all about sampling new stuff.

Why put limitations on yourself?

Somebody a while back was saying they thought it was gay that Jazzy Phe would buy beats from younger producers, maybe update them a little with his sounds, equipment etc. shine them up and say they were his beats.

Why?

If I were in his position I'd do the same, I've thought about doing that right now as is TBH.

If I have better resources than you, but you have more talent, why not work with/off of each other?

That's just how the process usually goes, maybe dude brought your song and took credit...but the next time he needs beats he's gonna look at you first.

It's basically the same thing as having a publishing deal, you have to work your way up.

Sorry but, you are all assuming its harder to recreate something modern than something dated. Sure enough, you can't go back into the past but do you know what is still around these days? A piano, a guitar, a Moog synthesiser! Some of the guys who made the music we all sample are still alive. Listen to the sounds, pure and simple.

i honestly just love digging.going to buy the records then coming home and listening to them. nothing beats it imo.i havnt sampled anything thats "new" but i dont think i wouldnt. if i hear something i want to chop or loop im going to do it whether its some souldies or some pop song off the radio. theres a kid across the street from me that plays the guitar, i wana record him playing and chop it up. i think what im trying to say is you can sample whatever you like =]

man, that pee wee herman dance song is weird....

1 of the benefits of sampling records is you buy a stack for cheap, then throw it on the turntable and are able to go through it pretty fast, and when you do find something hot, it's probably a track you wouldn't have thought to search for online in a million years.

Last edited:
just be original and if you "sample" some "new shit" you just have to FLIP the shit out of it!

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

part of it to is just finding crazy old stuff that no body has gotten their hands on yet. I know everyone thinks its impossible now adays but seriously there is SO much music internationally or even in the states that has never been digitized.

I like how this thread turned form what's wrong with sampling new shit to what's wrong with sampling.

I like X's youtube examples. When I first heard those songs I already knew where the beats came from. And I could already tell Pee Wee Dance was a 909 kick and crash but nothing beats the way Joeski compressed it so I had to sample it myself...from a cassette of a vinyl rip.

as for the OG question, if it sounds good it sounds good but nothing beats pre-90s analog sounds.

man, that pee wee herman dance song is weird....

1 of the benefits of sampling records is you buy a stack for cheap, then throw it on the turntable and are able to go through it pretty fast, and when you do find something hot, it's probably a track you wouldn't have thought to search for online in a million years.
I used to love Pee Wees dance as a little kid. I forgot about the break
I like how this thread turned form what's wrong with sampling new shit to what's wrong with sampling.

I like X's youtube examples. When I first heard those songs I already knew where the beats came from. And I could already tell Pee Wee Dance was a 909 kick and crash but nothing beats the way Joeski compressed it so I had to sample it myself...from a cassette of a vinyl rip.

as for the OG question, if it sounds good it sounds good but nothing beats pre-90s analog sounds.
I thought Pee Wees dance was a drum machine layered with Impeach The Preisdent

I feel like the only people who hate sampling modern stuff are those who are overly-purist. 9th Wonder sampled a 1998 R.Kelly record for "Threat" from the Black Album, that was released in 2003. I think I recall 9th saying that he made the beat earlier than when the album came out too. So you're looking at a 3-4 year window after that record dropped when he sampled it. So it was still fairly recent.

Nothing is off limits when it comes to sampling. If you want a sound in your record from a 2008 Keri Hilson record, go get it. It's a new generation...new rules. Don't put yourself in a glass box.

Now the catch is like someone said, if you're going to sample a recent record you better flip the hell out of it.

Last edited:
To be fair a lot of popular commercial songs in hip-hop were sampled from a modern song ex: poke her face and other lil wayne beats. Its all fair game to me I will sample what ever I want. Just do what ever you feel sounds hot being different will make you noticed.

I think the general concensus of the music community is that the only real rule in a creative endeavor is that there are no rules. So unless you're just blatantly playing someone else's music and claiming it's your own, sample whatever the heck you want! haha.

I see it this way. Did daft punk rip the shit out of their samples? yes. did they do much to change them? not really, maybe a tempo change on a few, BUT the music they created using those samples was totally NEW, and AMAZING. Personally, I'd rather enjoy their music than hate on their samples.

I think when most new people get into producing they look at someone using a loop, or even a premade drum kit, and they're like, "youre not doing anything youre just using sounds already in there thats lame." well, sorry to say it but if it sounds bomb at the end of production, who the fk cares? lol. I'd like to see that noob whos hating on samples try to make some amazing stuff using only sinewaves and squarewaves, beatbox his own drums, clap his own claps, then when he makes a chart topper he can whine all he wants. not describing OP btw, since you see the value of samples yet hold yourself to a higher merit of finding uncommon samples that everyone's not using. Definately creative points there.

Aint nothin worng wit sampling new records... I sampled a record on an album that came out this year...

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

In fact if you remember a couple years ago, Kanye Sampled that 'Paper Planes' by MIA to make 'Swagger Like Us' and they were only months apart in radio rotation...

I don't find that anything is wrong with sampling Old or New, i just find that it i a question of how obvious the sample is. For example Jason Derulo - Don't wanna go home sample Show Me Love, which i'm sure that we have all heard before because it used to be a very popular song. Game - red nation is another example, zombie nation how many times have we hear that sampled?? shit is far to obvious.
I tend to purely sample vinyl just because i find it fascinating and people are more unlikely to have uses the sample/it stays fresh.
Hope all that makes sense

remember when Jay z said to Nas.... You made it a hot line..I made it a hot song!!!

Thats the same for sampling..the Producer makes it or reinvents it to sound great or better! OR both!!!

somebody tell me, is the song sampled here new shit or old shit?

there is NOTHING wrong with sampling new shit. dont limit yourselves. sample ANYTHING. literally any sound

nothing wrong with sampling some new ish, i got down and flipped a adele sample, no problem with that as long as it sounds good!

perfectly fine personally.

it just seems to miss the point sometimes. i like the feeling of listening to a sample used by one of my fav producers and go...wow. dude really tore it up. or just hear a 2 second clip that turned into something incredible....but whats new? old schoolers where sampling/interpolating stuff that was going on around them at the same time.

paper planes seemed to not really be anything more than rehashing a song that was in the charts

Last edited:
Back