What's a good entry level Turn Table

A

AbsolutMuzik

What's up FP!! I'm looking for a good Turn Table strictly for playing back records for sampling purposes. In the past I used to chop samples using my computer then load them into my MPC. Now I want to get a TT and sample straight from Vinyl. I'm not a DJ so I really don't know anything about TT's. For those of you who do know about them, what's a good TT to get to start out with. I won't be doing any scratching or DJ'ing parties or nothing like that. Strictly for my studio setup. Any help is appreciated.

If you are just going to be playing vinyl, you don't even really need something direct drive. Hit garage sales, flea markets etc and try to find a turntable with RCA outs......

I would suggest buying used because any belt driven turntable built in the late 70s will be 1000x better than anything built today. The only problem you will run into is when you inevitably break a belt.....then the chances are that your turntable will be a paper weight.....

just curious, what would make a 70s turntable better than one made today? i like stantons, but dont get any cheesy plastic new age lookin table, i got a stanton str8-30 and a stanton str8-100, the 100 is dope with the pitch options and it even has a digital line in on it, but for basic purposes u can get a low end stanton with good results, but the sound quality is better on the 100, i think it was like $250, the 30 is $100. For the mixer i just got a low end nu-mark.

let me know what u end up getting

Thanks for the input fellas. Any more is definitely appreciated. I'll let ya'll know what I end up getting. Gonna do some research on ya'lls suggestions. Peace!!

jay.are said:
just curious, what would make a 70s turntable better than one made today? i like stantons, but dont get any cheesy plastic new age lookin table, i got a stanton str8-30 and a stanton str8-100, the 100 is dope with the pitch options and it even has a digital line in on it, but for basic purposes u can get a low end stanton with good results, but the sound quality is better on the 100, i think it was like $250, the 30 is $100. For the mixer i just got a low end nu-mark.

let me know what u end up getting

I re-read my first post and it was slightly misleading......

If he needs something where he can change the pitch, his best bet would be to buy something current, mainly because of the advances in quartz lock. Back 'in the day', changing pitch was an exercise in patience because tables weren't very good at holding a change in pitch.

My comment about 1970s turntables relates only to a standard 33.3/45/possibly a 78 rpm turntable with no pitch control. The art of building 'simple' turntables has fallen off lately - companies really don't put money into R&D'ing turntables anymore. A friend of mine bought her spouse a brand new Sony belt drive for Christmas last year. The table was incredibly light and skips anytime anyone walks by. The tonearm assembly is incredibly low quality and strikes me as being the first thing that will go. Old school tables weighed more, they had better quality components, and were built to last. New school tables are built along the current 'disposable electronics' model.....

Thanks again for the reply Ghowell. Actually I need something that's basic for me just to sample, but at the same time if I have another producer in my studio that needs to sample something, but at the same time I do want good quality. I'm not going to short change my quality just because I'm not a DJ or anything. I don't mind paying for quality, I just don't need anything to complex or that has unneccesary options. Plus if I have another producer coming in to do a session and needs to use my TT, I don't want them to be like "what the hell is this" LOL... ya feel me!!!

hang on, i been thinkin bout this. im laning on doin a pretty similr thing, but i dont think a belt drive is a good idea, cus it means everytimer u sample into the mpc the sample will have that build-up sound, & cut the begining of the chosen sample off.

id reccomend just buying the cheapest Direct drive turntable u can get ur hands on. they're pretty cheap.

the truthe™ said:
but i dont think a belt drive is a good idea, cus it means everytimer u sample into the mpc the sample will have that build-up sound, & cut the begining of the chosen sample off.

That's a good point. I would never have thought about that. So does a direct drive eliminate the build up sound of the record starting? I mean I know I can always edit the sample, but if it's avoidable i'd like to avoid the extra editing.

Like I said before, I really don't know anything about Turn Tables so all the help is appreciated. Peace!

man if you want someing just for playing records to sample off - its not the turntable that matters its the needle... get someing cheap, i'd recommend a current turntable, it makes no difference to you if its belt or direct if u aint mixing/scratching.

if i was you and needed a deck for my lab - i'd go for 2nd/3rd hand 12 series technics. (ebay ... youll pick one up at a nice price) - and believe these decks are SOLID. theyre industry standard.

if thats too much then anything current will suffice
http://www.djstore.co.uk/cgi-bin/item.pl?item=numtt1610 - that doesnt look too shabby, my mate had the direct drive version, they only lasted 12 months BUT he was abusing the **** out em, scratching/holding the platter still while on etc. It will look quite nice if kept in one place and not shifted around and much and scratched.

id reccomend this cart for you if you sampling as it sounds really nice :
http://www.djstore.co.uk/cgi-bin/it...age=&sort=rating&terms=selcarts-abqbqaaabagaa - dont budget on the needle

for ure case feel free to budget on the deck but dont budget on you needle.

and someone mentioned the str8 series stanton, for only sampling use this is a BIG NO (the st version is fine but not the str8) !!!! They output a lower sound quality due to the straight onearm and needle positioning (YES THEY DO ... !!!) and they burn your vinyl out much quicker.

Peace

conclusion (lol) ... any deck but expensive needle

Good lookin fam. All that info is indeed helpful. I don't want to go to a music store and tell them I don't know anything about Turn Tables and then they get me for my money. That's why I came to the "Pros" first. LOL...

no way !! i have a str8 - 150, it's good at holding the rekked - it does burn my **** quick though

YO PEOPLE, did anyone come to a conclusion on the belt/direct drive thang? i dont wanna spen un-necesary money on this ish

It doesn't matter what kind of player you have if you are just sampling. Try to make sure it has a good needle or the option to inter change a needle if it goes bad. Pitch and speed don't matter to much. Chances are whatever you are sampling into can alter pitch and speed for you anyway, however it is nice to hear before you sample. If you are going to use it to lay cuts in your track then.......well ....I guess I don't need to tell you what to do in that case.

so with a belt driven turntable you wouldnt lose the start of the sample with the start-up noise of the Turntable?

no !!

if u need it only for sampling .... and dont have money for getting something like a 1210 as they always look nice in a studio - get a beltdrive !!!!!

no one samples by putting the needle at the absolute begining of the sound ure sampling !! and then press start !! Most the time people cue the record , press record on their sampler/computer and record the whole beat or a good chunk of cut - then cut it up ... using ure comp/sampler

samples are always cut after theyre recorded so it doesnt matter wat the start or end sounds like, just give yourself room to cut out the wind up and wind down

oh i think we got different methods:

in the past on my friends system i always started the sample where i actually wanted it to sample, as we both have limited sample time on our samplers.

i guess direct drive is necessary for that?

does anyone know of a good TurnTable which i can use to sample from records and do some scratching?

Back