whats better software samplers or hardware ones

i use software ones llike adobe audition and **** but i yet 2 usee hardware one im wandering what is better and whats a good hardware one u can get:monkey:

IMHO it all depends on what you can do with the sample and how much said sampler can handle (File size).

For me I have a Kurzweil 2500s keyboard sampler. At the time of purchase, I didnt have a computer. So my hardware sampler was all I had. I made the best of it. A few years later I started using Audio editing software. Specifically Acid. What I found my self doing was using it a one GIANT sampler. On my kurzweil I had a total of 35 seconds of sample time in MONO. With a computer your have INFINATE amount of sample time.

Things that are important:
Most hardware sampler have alot of built in things that help make your sound what you want it to be, examples of this would be, Filters,FX, Layering,Streching etc., all in one unit.

While alot of software samplers give you the same. In most cases your relying on Plug-ins. So its really up to how much your willing to learn.

Now to answer your question directly. I use both. I chop it on ACID (not really a sampler but I use it as one.) If I need to do more I run that chop through Reason 3.0 (it has 2 different types of software samplers). I do it this way because my computer is strong and I can basically work with an entire song with out running out of memory or hardrive space. Thats 3 different manipulations on one sample. This gives me a mordern Hip Hop sound. If I want to get gutter, I then chop myself again and finish it of with 35 seconds of sample time on my Kurzweil 2500s.

If your money is tight go Software.
If you got cake, go both.

Hope this helps.

JGonz

Check out some of my work here:

http://www.myspace.com/jgonztheemperor

The triton has a powerful sampler with nice editing options.Software samplers,i would look into the native instruments line.Now a days a lot of sampling is done within the computer.

Hardware. Computer-based stuff is a 2-part process, record in one program, then load audio into a sample player. With hardware, you record into it, and the instant it stops recording, that audio is on your keyboard. Very fast, but more expensive.

somebody brought up a few good things. When you sample in software you useually have to use more programs. Like for reason I have to sample in Audition, chop in recycle just to load in Reason. But the flexabiltiy of using software is that you can have the sample on storage and take a portable hardrive and use it whenever where ever. I usually sample a lot, but I use various MPC's and Software programs depending on where i'm at. So sampling in software works for me. Goodso f the hardware. When I sample in one of my MPC's or ASR, I get way better color on the sample that I can't get on Software, this can be fixed with plug in's but I would prefer to have it from the jump. But I keep about 40gigs of sampleing MP3's on my external drive and I have another 3 gigs of wav's already chooped up ready to be used. Thats the advanage of computers. FOr my ASR I got zip and floppy disks all over the place for barely a fraction on what I get on a comp

Reported spammer scum.

Back on topic...

Why do you think the only standalone samplers on the market are MPCs, integrated into workstations & 'grooveboxes'? Software samplers have -destroyed- hardware samplers for most musical use in the marketplace. Common PC hardware will give you all the memory, all the storage & all the IO you could possibly want for less money than custom, dedicated hardware would cost.

alright thanks dudes this helped me alot i think ima stick prob 2 software cuz it will be easyer i may get a cheap 200$ one 2 try it if i do i MUGHT THO can you guys tell me some good cheap 200$ ones all i really wat 2 try or buy or some **** is a HARDWARE that will cut **** and edit a bit

I'd always recommend trying out hardware. While PC's are more affordable and generally more powerful samplers, the workflow comes into play. Like some people said, multiple programs can be a hassle. Sometimes I get tired of recording into Soundforge, chopping in Recycle, and making the beat in Reason. Hardware can speed up the producing process quite a beat, but it's more costly and can be limited.

software

i think you come out better with software, because you can switch it up easier and if you mess up you dont have to sample it all over like you have to do on hardware

Why has nobody said what hardware samplers do?

The only software sampler is one that emulates the hardware samplers themselves...

Other than that...The minute you record a sample into your computer, the computer itself and the abilities of your software ARE the sampler...

Hardware samplers traditionally worked where you loaded samples into the module, called upon them and were given some varied filters and editing tools to manipulate such as the start of your sample, the end of your sample, the beginning of the looping point, the end looping point, weather it will loop or play straightthrough, reverse playback, panning, key zoning, and a couple other generals like decay, pitch and release...

Like I said, there's been alot of software made to emulate hardware samplers, but really all a sampler is is something that manipulates an existing sample and allows triggering(playback) of that sample...A computer does all that from the minute you record off your turntable, so it's unfair the really give you ONE piece of software that is comparable...Computers have the ABILITY to do light years ahead of what hardware does, but hardware is only limited by how much your device can do and how many devices you have...Computers are limited only by how much software you have and what the software does...

You get the point...

I have to say hardware...I have one homie who went the soft sampler route and the first advice he gave me is not to abandon my sampler.
He wishes that he have his sampler and drum machine back.
It's just quicker,especially with a sampletrak,303/404/505,it's sample and assign to a bank,and then chop,simple as that!!
Soft samplers are very powerful but for raw hiphop and electronica,a simple sampler and an Mpc are enough and more fun and spontaneous.

Pimpmatik said:
Soft samplers are very powerful but for raw hiphop and electronica,a simple sampler and an Mpc are enough and more fun and spontaneous.

Good ass point right there...But computers can be setup to create in the same manner...

SoundDoctrine said:
Good ass point right there...But computers can be setup to create in the same manner...
I couldn't agree more,I want a computer set-up too.Live seem like a really dope program.It's all about trusting the ears more than the eyes,what I really wanted to say is that it would be wise to include some hardware as well to get the best of both worlds.

Back