what are some uses for a sampler if you already know how to make your own music?

prodeucer

I had a BOSS SP-303 sampler, I sold it without ever using it. I got it used. I won from a sweepstakes a BOSS SP-404, I still haven't touched it. I'm not sure what to do with it. I know how to program drum machines and synths so what can I do with a sampler? Could I get creative with it, like sampling my own work and give it a different take or what? Is it a good idea to get creative running my compositions through it via MIDI and run it back to the mixer, etc. I can't think much of what to do with this sampler, give me some idea so I could put this to good use or it will go on EBAY.

1) Some Hip Hop producers use certain samplers cause they like the what the sampler does to the sample asr keyboard samplers for example.
2) chop something up and record your performance. More spontainaity and groove.
3)make your own instrument patches
4) does it improve workflow? Is hitting the keys fun and inspiring?

1) Some Hip Hop producers use certain samplers cause they like the what the sampler does to the sample asr keyboard samplers for example.
2) chop something up and record your performance. More spontainaity and groove.
3)make your own instrument patches
4) does it improve workflow? Is hitting the keys fun and inspiring?

^ co-sign

are those "remixes" I heard about, is a sampler what's used? Doesn't a sampler beat match? Let's say the vocal version of a song is at 160 bpm, and I want to sample that vocal track to match a 140 bpm dance track, is a sampler what's needed?

yea u can run sounds thru it and use some of the effects in it. the sp303 had a lo-fi mode on it that u could get some super gritty sound out of, i'm not sure if the 404 got it. i was gonna buy the 303 just for that.

You can use a sampler, to sample anything.
Including synthesizers. Samplers are just playback tools to slice recorded audio man lol.
For instance I create wavetables with zebralette and stick those in nnxt since thor's wavetable osc doesn't allow that [prolly cuz nnxt exist]
And if I want the traditional square/tri/saw/sine waveforms I just use the synthesizers

Explain "slice" audio?

I don't get that.

Also, wouldn't a lot of the multi track recording studios available have most of the features of samplers as far as "effects" go but I'm not sure what separates a "sampler" from it? Obviously a sampler has no "multi track" mixer you can lay down tracks on to.

Samplers are extremely barebones/basic versions of what's already inside the daw in terms of advanced features and the like. If workflow speed is of no concern, then it may not be worth your time checking those out.

If you do not like sampling with the daw's tools then that is when you look for dedicated sampling tools like slicex/wavepad/goldwave/beatcleaver/wavosaur/audacity/edison/recycle.

Explain "slice" audio?

I don't get that.

Also, wouldn't a lot of the multi track recording studios available have most of the features of samplers as far as "effects" go but I'm not sure what separates a "sampler" from it? Obviously a sampler has no "multi track" mixer you can lay down tracks on to.

some samplers just have a unique sound, some have unique effects. they say no mpc sounds the same. the mpc60 will give you a pretty gritty sound. the 2000xl i think gives out the best bump. then, like i mentioned the sp303 got the lofi mode and so on.... this can of course be emulated by software.. might not be sound exactly 'same' or whatever so it'll be different... different doesn't necessarily mean better, or worse, it could be either. seems like you don't really need a sampler from what i read.
some people, including me, like to have a hardware sampler to chop up their samples or do their drums on or other reasons.. i specifically love the way you can chop up samples so fast and build sample banks so quick, that's why i used to use one for years.. i always did my drums on software. i don't use a hardware sampler anymore though.

Last edited:
still no one answered me regarding how those "remixes" are done? How would one match the vocals to a different track? Since we all know it's not sampler. Is it simply by ear then? Let's say someone sent me the vocal tracks of "Blurred Lines" to be remixed; How do I match the vocals to my tracks to create a remixed version of the song? This would then be called a "remix", not a "sample". Is a remix then as simple as putting some music to the vocals and or vice versa? Then again how would you know at what BPM the vocals and or music was in unless you either have "beat matching" gear and or the BPM was known. Right?

Last edited:
You are definitely overthinking it. A remix is just exactly what it's called. beatmatching software is a choice also.
Samples are what you call sliced audio files.

So you know how to program drum machines and program synths but know not of how "remixes" are made? or what a sampler is?

Technically a sampler is so you can make your own snips of audio like the ones you use in the drum machine. You don't 'need' one as you can do it all in the DAW you are using. Some people like to use one because of workflow, creativity or the unique sound the piece of hardware will apply to it. A rompler synth is a synth filled with samples, Nexus for example. Some drum machines are samplers too and some samplers can be used as a drum machine.

As for vocals, yes, do it by ear, this is music, sound lol. Some people build a track around the vocal after adjusting its bpm, pitch or just leaving it, others make a track and look for a vocal to fit, then make more adjustments.

There will be a time stretch function in your daw. Figure out the bpm of the vocal using this formula, create a loop, count the beats in the loop (imagine them), Divide the number of seconds in the loop by the number of beats. Divide 60 by the answer. You now have a rough BPM for that loop, the longer the loop the more accurate the answer. Or, use a beat calculator where you tap the imaginary beat as the vocal plays. Put the bpm of the vocal in your time stretch tool and the bpm you want, Press GO! Job done. Sometimes you want to preserve pitch other times you don't but that's enough for today.

Back