What pres are you using with your Turntables?

noblewordz

sexing your mother
As the titles says. I need a new TT, I had a belt drive with a built in pre now I want to get a direct drive and I'll need a pre, or a DJ mixer.

Suggestions welcome.

Its for sampling thats why the thread is here.

I'm in the same boat as you right now.
Hopefully we can get some info/suggestions

I Have a ARTcessories DjPreamp...it comes with a low cut/high pass filter, it has a gain trim knob and clip meter... So far it is really nice and the sound comes out thumpin... Hope this helped. -LK-

i think ur mistaken as too what exactly u needa purchase. i take it you used too have a TT with a built in phono....so uve never needed too look for one nore prolly know what one is.

you DONT need a preamp....unless you want too colour the signal going in. you dont need a mixer unless u plan too doo scratching and what not.

what you need is called a ' Phono amp'

and they all do the same thing and are around 50 bucks or so....at GC.

if you wana upgrade the quality of ur samples going into ur computer. then just make sure you have a great cartirage.

like i said before tho.....a 'Phono amp' is a neccesity. a preamp and a mixer are not.....unless u need them for the reasons i specified above.

good luck.

Yeah I know I need a phono pre, maybe my post was confusing.

You can use a DJ Mixer to get a RIAA signal. Lots of people do.

damn at times i hate technology at times it infringes on creativity i jus want to sample an make a beat im a simple man i love simple things 'quote 'living legends ' i jus stick my tt to my 100 $ mixer not dj mixer - an jus record i hate stupid technology u need this to make it sound this way blah blahh blahh its jus tech bull -lol jus wanted to bust your balls hehehe

Last edited:
i use a 1980's hitachi turn table, direct drive...with shure white labels, then run it through my "gem sound" mixer..which is probably garbage, but gets the job done.... and from there i will either run it through my presonus fire station to my tascam 1082... which both have tube pres, that usually warms it up.. or you can bypass all of that and warm it up with soft ware... idk if this answered your question. but this set up gives me alot of options when it comes to acheiving the sound(s) i want.

I Have a ARTcessories DjPreamp...it comes with a low cut/high pass filter, it has a gain trim knob and clip meter... So far it is really nice and the sound comes out thumpin... Hope this helped. -LK-
I have this one too. It sounds ok and is reasonably priced at $50. It's in a metal shell too which is good for clumsy people like myself. You can find them even cheaper, but they probably won't have a gain control, let alone the other options. I'm told this is the only good cheap phono preamp. They can get a lot pricier, but this seems sufficient for sampling. The only real downside is that there's no on/off switch, so you have to unplug it to turn it off, but thats not too big of a deal for me.

Back