What got u into sampling

HEADCUTTA

heatmakers n kanye west back in the day got me into sampling and beat making in general got me addicted how about u?

First of all, Kanye. Then RZA, Dilla, NO ID, MF DOOM, Madlib, Just Blaze, B!nk etc. Plenty more, just can't think of the top of my head.

I'm gonna show my age here, but my Casio sk-1 got the ball rolling for me.
Then I sadly spilled iced tea on it, and broke it in 1987?
About a year later I got an sk-5 that I still have.
Around 1990 I graduated from using it for chromatic fart sounds to trying to make sampled beats with it, lol.
in 91 I got a big Yamaha psr arranger type keyboard, and basically played around with beats until 2000 when I bought a Zoom Sampletrack that I also still have.
Since then I've been through a couple mpc's an s900, and various software programs.

My current hardware samplers: Boss sp-505, Zoom Sampletrak, and the Casio Sk-5.
On the software side I use Shortcircuit for basically everything as my vst sampler, and have since 2006.
My DAW changes from time to time. I have had an FL Studio license since 2000, and use have used it much of the time.
I mess with Podium, and EnergyXT too on my old WinXP system.

And lastly old Golden Era hip-hop got me into using my sk-5 for something besides farts!

Last edited:
Wu Tang, Tribe, NWA etc that early 90s little bit of late 80s had me hooked. The creativity of turning something old into something completely new was ill. It was like taking a classic painting and being able to remix it. And later the 9ths, Dillas, Ye, Just Blaze, Timbo etc

Truth be told sampling is how I got into production in the first place. I listened to a lot of vaporwave and I started by slowing down songs in Audacity then naturally came to a DAW.

early 90s stuff and some of the sounds that Prince was placing into his songs. DEFINITELY Pete Rock and DJ Premier, Rza... later i realize that there were a lot of people i enjoyed listening to that i had no idea were using samples.

I started off with no samples then an artist approached me said he wanted me to sample something for a beat. Once I started buying vinyl there was no turning back, I would not have got alot of my placements if it wasn't for sampling. It's not as big today but will always be a part of hip hop.

For me, it was this song

YouTube

And then later Madlib, J Dilla, Oddisee, Dj Premier, and also watching Boonie Mayfield have fun with making beats on youtube

Back