what are gems when crate digging?

mylesp510

first off i only know a few artist to look out for when i crate dig for records. normally what i do is look for stuff from the 1970 and before that. then if i see a record that catches my eye i'll look the songs up on youtube on my phone and see if i like it. so basically i have some knowledge about crate digging but i dont go enough to know alot.

now people always talk about certain records being gems. what makes the records gems other than them being rare?

Last edited:
a gem constitutes a record with a really dope sample. A rare gem tends to be preferable due to the likelihood of others sampling more common records.

There are 2 kinds of gems. The ones nobody knows about or the ones that are almost impossible to find. The stuff that most of us know about are also fairly easy to find. That being said find something nobody has rocked yet and bring it to the light. Or maybe even something that you don't think anyone else has used.

"then if i see a record that catches my eye"... Digg the records that don't catch your eye!
"first off i only know a few artist to look out for when i crate dig for records"... Dig the records where you don't know who the artists is!
Gems is that bit of sound that is epic! I just found a Russian progressive rock gem when i heard it i went through crazy.. Felt like a blessing & that is the feeling a crate digger is looking for!

agreed, they are usually hard to find or know one has heard them and they were over looked when they were released...nothing too commercial or been sample a 1000 thousand time by someone else

LOL, I think the point of digging is to look for artists you don't know.

well i look for certain artist on top of people i dont know. i look at records i dont know all the time. i just mentioned that i dont know many artist cause i wasnt sure if that had anything to do with records being gems.

LOL, I think the point of digging is to look for artists you don't know.

depends on who you ask. I wouldn't buy a record I don't know much about unless it was a $1 bin joint. Too many resources out there. the initial point to digging (Well at least where the term stems from) was digging for something forgotten and eventually it became digging for something not so well known or used much in hip hop I think. If I am wrong I'd love to hear from someone who's been digging since the 80s.

That the beuty u dont kno wats a gem.. Till the needles drops....i dnt box myself i buys all kinds of records new, old, some i kno, some i never heard, for me rite now is just to increase my knowledge...like read the creadits.. Who was the bass player, drummer, pianist, ect, also were was it recorded...this is stuff that im starting to pick up after you build your collection...

For me its section with only one or two instruments, no drums and a jazzy chords sequence for me to loop. I then try and work out the key so I can play my own instruments over it.

Here's a tip
Look at what artist your fav. artists are sampling and go from there the only problem with this is you may not like what the your fav. artist is sampling but it'll give you an idea. I grew up listening to Thelonious monk, philly jo, dizzy, art blakey etc. cuz my pops likes all that ish so i have a home base to kind of return to if i dont find some Gems. And i can't stress this enough look for the international ish i found some heat the other day Iranian psychedelic rock from the 70's heat!

depends on who you ask. I wouldn't buy a record I don't know much about unless it was a $1 bin joint. Too many resources out there. the initial point to digging (Well at least where the term stems from) was digging for something forgotten and eventually it became digging for something not so well known or used much in hip hop I think. If I am wrong I'd love to hear from someone who's been digging since the 80s.

Not well known obscure is key.

Back