What effects do you use on your samples?

Dannevoltz

Of late i have been staying away from samples, just to develop my skills as a keyboardist. but anyways, i was craving making a sample beat today, i made a pretty nice one, but the problem I am always having is I dont have a bread and butter set of effects to put on my samples. I usually mess around with some reverb and delay, but I was curious, what do you all use?

I normally find myself using compression or a saturator to give a little more presence to the sample... Besides that, normally eq or a moving filter as an effect if I'm needing a switch-up.

I make beats in Reason, FL, and Motu BPM. All have stock stereo enhancement FX.

Never outsourced for them. But the best enhancers are the ones with freq control so you can keep all your lows and basses in mono while spreading your strings, hats, vocals, ect.

it's depend of what kind of sample, if i'ts just keys without bass and drums u can keep it as it is, or cut low to add space for drums and bass if it loud, and compression, maybe some reverb or delay

Last edited by a moderator:
thanx for all the replies. I used to use eq, reverb/delay, and that be it. I am about to try a stereo enhancer maybe the one provided by fruity loops. How would yall go at cutting vocals from a sample? i used to use high pass filter and filter it out, but the vocals end up sounding unnatural half the time lol.

thanx for all the replies. I used to use eq, reverb/delay, and that be it. I am about to try a stereo enhancer maybe the one provided by fruity loops. How would yall go at cutting vocals from a sample? i used to use high pass filter and filter it out, but the vocals end up sounding unnatural half the time lol.

I rarely even attempt at cutting vocals out of samples. Most always you'll lose alot of your mix in the sample doing so, or youll be left with a shitty sounding still there vocal sample unless your a mastermind with eqing... I usually just deep search samples where i can find just instrumentation... or try to utilize the vocals with cuts if possible with still maintaining it smooth.

Ableton - Reverb Sidechaining

Heeey i use Ableton

To spice up my own samples most of the time i fiddle around with some reverb.

i use sidechain compresion to pop out my kicks!
With the reverb channel :)

depends entirely on the sample. usually an eq if i wanna take out some parts/emphasize some. delay, reverb, saturator. compressor on drums mostly.

Back