What do you do when listening to records????

henkhakkebar

Superproducer
Whenever I am listening to records for sampling (I listen the whole record, never know what you'll find) I am usually just on Facebook, doing a bit of homework, some networking, or just plain nothing.

However I enjoy looking through records, I really do, I think I can spend my time listening a bit better, than I do now.

How do you guys on here go about this?

I definitely enjoy listening to the whole record if I have time. Sometimes I'll just spend hours listening to tracks to sample, record them, and save them for later.

Whenever I am listening to records for sampling (I listen the whole record, never know what you'll find) I am usually just on Facebook, doing a bit of homework, some networking, or just plain nothing.

However I enjoy looking through records, I really do, I think I can spend my time listening a bit better, than I do now.

How do you guys on here go about this?

The problem is that you are trying to "multi-task" the process of ABSORBING and UNDERSTANDING ART, which is what music is...
If you try to make a beat or write a song while youre driving your CAR or fixing yourself breakfast, what what will be the result?

I think you already know the answer...:cool:

What you need to do is turn off the computer, put the cell phone away, and grab a stack of wax, and some 3X5 index cards, some colored sticky notes and whatever spray/towel cleaner that you use to clean your records...
Clean one record, and put that on the platter and just chill back with a BREWSKI or your drug of choice, cleaning the next album you intend to put on next... YOU WILL HEAR the DOPE SAMPLE, while youre NOT LOOKING for it, IT will JUMP right into your lap, NO KIDDING...
Write down the track number, and what side the sample was on, what kind of sample: BASSLINE, VOCALS, STRINGS, BAGPIPE, whatever, and put the sticky on the front with the side>>>A or B, and the track number, put the 3X5 index card inside the album cover with the album, and move on to the next, clean album...

This will help you stay organized and inspired, and you will find WAY MORE samples than all of those other NEW JACK dudes...

PEACE:cool:

Last edited:
^^^^ That's a pretty dope method.

I actually do the same thing as the first post, adding gaming, yet focusing on listening to the record.

Last edited:
I don't look down on anyone's method, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who listens to the sample more then once. You may wanna try listenin to it one time fully focused on it & take mental notes of what sticks out ta you what gives you that *feeling*. Then listen again easy & take note if you only notice the same parts, or more, or none. It rly all depends on the person & the sample....

a lot of times I do nothing while listening to music but other times I read or play video games.

It varies for me. Sometimes web surf sometimes just burn one and chill. For me its more about just watching my emotions while listening, if I get some feeling from part of a song you know thats the stuff.

The problem is that you are trying to "multi-task" the process of ABSORBING and UNDERSTANDING ART, which is what music is...
If you try to make a beat or write a song while youre driving your CAR or fixing yourself breakfast, what what will be the result?

I think you already know the answer...:cool:

What you need to do is turn off the computer, put the cell phone away, and grab a stack of wax, and some 3X5 index cards, some colored sticky notes and whatever spray/towel cleaner that you use to clean your records...
Clean one record, and put that on the platter and just chill back with a BREWSKI or your drug of choice, cleaning the next album you intend to put on next... YOU WILL HEAR the DOPE SAMPLE, while youre NOT LOOKING for it, IT will JUMP right into your lap, NO KIDDING...
Write down the track number, and what side the sample was on, what kind of sample: BASSLINE, VOCALS, STRINGS, BAGPIPE, whatever, and put the sticky on the front with the side>>>A or B, and the track number, put the 3X5 index card inside the album cover with the album, and move on to the next, clean album...

This will help you stay organized and inspired, and you will find WAY MORE samples than all of those other NEW JACK dudes...

PEACE:cool:

Thanks man! And drug of choice would def make listening a lot more enjoyable (not that it isn't without) but I live with my parents, im not yet 18. But thanks for the advice!

I usually skip the needle through the record till i hear a song that grabs.
See i always sample the entire song when i record a sample.
Than use different parts from it.

Hey man, Im not saying drug of choice, just to advocate getting HIGH, I was saying anything that helps you relax, chill out...it could be hot chocolate, or coffee, or tea, or anything that you like to taste, because a record sample searching session that is less than 1 hour, isnt going to get much done...

BTW, I just got the "spin clean record washer mkii" yesterday, and cleaned 300 45's last night, and am ready to listen to them...
When you collection gets large: over 500, I highly recommend this unit...

Last edited:
Back