What am I doing wrong?

rskillz

To start, I am a beginner, much of everything I learned has come from tutorials. I got the hang of chopping up samples etc but when it comes time to add the drums I can never get them on beat. The chops I'm using are looped correctly. Are my settings off? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated

Ahh I was there not too long ago, I'm still a beginner to this but it helps by setting "reference" drums. Generally snares go on the two(the red part) if you're using the step sequencer just put them on the first out of the 4 red blocks and listen to it for a while, it helps to work one bar at a time (4 beats, typically) listen to the segment and then start adding your kicks. Keep listening till it sounds good, but no overcrowded to your ears, everyone feel different about the tracks. Then you can just keep adjusting the individual drums until that one bar sounds solid to you. then move on the the next bar. Add the sample sequence, copy the drums and adjust the pattern as it matches the groove. Let it build, so to speak. Work in layers, one small piece at a time, its frustrating now but you can get there.

Just make sure you are really precise in your chopping, especially during starting points and I think you'll be a lot more on beat

Back