From which Vinyls do you sample drums?

I'll sample any record (or vinyl) that has decent drums on it. I've built a large sample library consisting of single drum shots as I record any open drum sound that can be used while listening to new finds. I don't like sampling hip hop records, newer releases (due to sound and also due to my prefered decades in digging) and don't use drum break comps.

If you are looking for info on which records have drum breaks on them, take a look at this thread: https://www.futureproducers.com/for...mpling-and-digging/drum-break-records-409055/
And also browsing the-breaks.com sampled drums list will point you to quite a few records: Search

Last edited:
I find 70's rock albums (lots of drum solos in the mid/late 70's) and jazz (research particular players and what albums/groups they played on/with) are best for finding breaks to chop...

Research, (and I really do mean in an academic sense) is a skill that can really aid you in digging for breaks/samples... And in life generally.

I sample my drums mainly from jazz. Funk & soul . Especialy in the 70's era even a preroll at the.beginnig of a track can have dope sounds . Just dig around and you will find stuff for sure ! Pz

Last edited:
anything i can find any type of open drums or drum hits on i chop and save. i look out for bass breaks too and chop the keys out. the same goes for fx and i'm also always looking for individual keys held for a long time, especially synths, brass and strings.

Back