Vet's help needed on Sampling and Equipment

D

DS781

I have never sampled to create a new track but I would like to learn how. Everybody has his/her own style and methods to sampling I just wanted some good advice from someone that does it often.

1. Should I sample with my ASR-10 or Mpc or get some software? If so which one and why? I have beeen told Acid or Sonar. Right now I use protools on my mac and FL on my PC.

2. What do I do next? I was told to cut the vocals away from the song. Then what?

3. Does it matter what type of turntable is used (belt drive or direct drive)? What about needles?

4. After you sample do you just add drums for a completed track?

5. How do you change the track up? How many times?

Any help you give is needed. If you could also think of something maybe you had a question about when you started and now you know the answer to it or something you know might stump me would be great.

Thanks for you time.

if i had an asr and a mpc...i sho as hell wouldnt use software. but thats my broke computer using ass. as far as removing vocals...only way u would be able to do that is if you filtered them down some how or if u had a mono sample where the vocals was on one side and the sample u wanted was on the other. other than that, what u hear is pretty much what u workin wit. and about adding drums...u might need a lil more than drums to finish the track but depending on what u doin wit the sample thats all u may need sometimes. it really varies. theres no set rules to sampling. and u can use any kinda turntable to sample. i use a cheap ass numark beltdrive that aint worth the slipmats on it but it gets the job done and works for me.

You have an ASR and an MPC . . . it amazes me to hear people having good equip but then are compelty lost lol. It's like did you just buy the stuff without knowing anything ? Do you do that alot cause thats not to smart lol but na . . .

Have you ever listened to music before ? Have you ever heard when songs switch up into different parts or variations ? I'm sure you have and noticed them.

Basic Layout - Intro/chorus, verse, chorus, verse,chorus, verse, chorus/outro. Thats just a bsic song layout you can lay it out however you'd like though theirs no rules.

Basic Drums - Drums, snares, hats, cymbols, percussion, etc. whatever sounds you want to use theirs no rule hear either.

Sampling - You don't have to cut out vocals . . . only if you don't want them their and i'm sure you've heard sampled tracks with the vocals in them. You can try to EQ them out but 75% of the time thast not gonna work to well. I suggest you stick to the ASR and the MPC especially if your a more hands on person and not someone who picks up on things real fast on the PC and plus you have 2 of the most efficient and expensive pieces of equipment which are very good so use them.

Last edited:
Yeah. I have alot of equipment that I know nothing about mainly because I don't have time to use it. I drive trucks for a living so I not even in the state I live alot.

I have a Mpc 2000, Asr-10, Korg Triton, Roland XP-60, Proteus 2500 , Akai S900, I am running FL on my PC and Pro Tools on my Power Mac. I have a label that I trying to get off the groung but people around here are not serious about the game like I am.

What you working with?

Back