Very common question: How to remove backing from recording

lucien500

Hello.

I am currently trying to sample the intro of the song Esta es la historia de un amor by Mecano. the intro is predominantly vocals with a few strings (you can hear it on youtube etc).

With the sample, I have resampled it to be up a tone, increase the treble and removed a bit of the mid and bass. However, the strings are still very apparent, not helped by the weird harmonies. How else would you recommend to remove the backing?

I did find a live performance, but she loses the tempo at the start making it impossible to work with!

Thanks for your help :D

Lucien

Probably not going to happen. Strings and vocals are pretty dominant around the same frequency range.

The stereo position of the strings doesn't help either (in the vid I saw). If there was a bit of panning you might have been able to use a phase inversion trick.

If you have an instrumental version with ONLY the vox missing you might be able to use the phase inversion to strip it out.

If you are using a program like Ableton 8 or Logic 9, you might be able to time stretch the live version and fix the section where the tempo falls off.

Back