Using smart phone while digging - - Best way to use your phone

Pengh

Utilizing iPhone/Smart phone to help DIG - - Best way to use your phone

So I'm just getting back into the game. There is a strip of consignment shops downtown that i found my self exploring last weekend. Come to find out, they have a large amount of vinyl in really good quality in most stores. I plan to go back this weekend but I'm not an expert by any means when it come to digging. I was thinking how i could utilize my Android device? If I find a record that I'm interested in, I could search for the artist on YouTube? Google search? Do you guys use you phones when you are out? any tips or websites to visit when your out there?

Last edited:
Im going to say it and I know some will diagree and thats cool but to me thats CHEATING lol.. To me that kind of spoils the suprise and takes the fun out of diggin!! sort of like when you go to a spot and its all organized YUCK!! I like a certain randomness to my record hunting... Sure I know that times have changed but most of us use our expierence and portable TT if you have one..If not its still cool because you never know what your gonna get and besides everything is not on you tube..

I don't think there's such a thing as cheating but it would definitely take some of the fun out of it, like buying vinyl online. I have thought about this before and I would definitely use a smartphone while digging if I had one. No matter how knowledgeable you are, you're still more prepared if you have the internet with you. The other day I passed up a Jeff Beck album that I wouldn't have if I had known it was the one with the break on it. I suppose one website I would recommend would be discogs.com, if you don't use it daily already.

go to stores with listening stations.... most will have a five record limit at a time. i'll spend anywhere from 3 minutes to an hour finding five records, take them to the listening station and skip thru the tracks pretty fast just to get a feel for whats on each track. The records I want stay with me, the ones i don't want go in the restock crate. Then i go back and find five more records and do the whole process over again until i have spent too much money lol. always money well spent. put your dam phone away lol.

Okay thats cool but that Jeff beck joint is what we call the Wired beat... see what Im saying is do your research but then when you get to the spot rely on your instinct because the internet as we know it helped ruin music as we knew it.. dont believe me ask any of the record companies that are left.. Especially because now record store owners who had limited knowledge of what we were doing now raise the prices cause they can look on the net and see what reords are going for. So when folks go in the stores asking questions and giving it away(ie cell phones/ipads then again these dudes raise the prices... Good for them bad for us!! My point is there was a time when you juat had to know what you were looking for and even then you were taking a chance as every mickey mouse band record was'nt the one that had the break on it but you still copped them thinking it did ..It was fun and exciting even when it was wack!! but as we know now every record has something on it according to the way we make beats now( as in chopping for sounds as oppossed to straight looping) which sometimes you cant help.. I mean if the store has a turntable thats cool as well cuts down on all the stuff you dont really need.. I mean Jack Jones is okay lol but only one of his albums has the break on it.. Now because the way we make music has changed it is now reflected on what we look for when were digging. We can talk about Jeff beck/John Klemmer and others all day but there comes a time when skills and knowledge has to take over and the tecnology has to be put down.. kind of we need to rely more on our brains and less on gadgets for our survival in life as well as when diggin.(okay im off the soap box) but im just saying dont stray too far away from what started this whole thing and diggin is A number 1 when it comes to HipHop... Now if you dont have record stores in your areas (god help you) at least hit up your family and friends lol before you just order them online or boo tube hahaha..Just remember everyboby has access to boo tube so then how would you stand out if everybodys doing the same thing? at least with records/cds/8tracks/45ives/78s you at least have variety and the chance that what you find maybe only you might have to flip.. (for the moment).. so eat digg and be merry!! hahaha guys today have it so easy in this disposable society we live in... home studios and the world at thier finger tips!! ....

Last edited:
Best thing to do man is just wait for the surprise. You can never know if your gonna find some good samples on a record, even if you search on your phone. Be original

May be useful if you are simply looking for bargains and are planning to resell them, and of course, if you have no idea what you are looking for and want to grab some solid records to start your collection (this might be recommendable). The big downside will be that if you are looking for samples and aren't looking to buy records for listening purposes, you may well pass on some heat as you will most likely base your assumptions of what a record contains in a few minutes of one track and everything can't even be found on Youtube.. And you will develope your digging skills way more if you don't rely in the internets too much as you will be paying more attention to the labels, musicians and all that. You probably have been doing the Youtube digging thing in past so you should have some names to start with too.

I personally don't use a smart phone or a portable turntable when digging (and the places where I usually dig don't have listening stations). I would also find it very annoying if somebody blocked bunch of crates while looking for info on the records from Google.

So I'm just getting back into the game. There is a strip of consignment shops downtown that i found my self exploring last weekend. Come to find out, they have a large amount of vinyl in really good quality in most stores. I plan to go back this weekend but I'm not an expert by any means when it come to digging. I was thinking how i could utilize my Android device? If I find a record that I'm interested in, I could search for the artist on YouTube? Google search? Do you guys use you phones when you are out? any tips or websites to visit when your out there?

While youre slowly going back and forth, fiddling with your dumbphone, I will have descended upon those dusty crates like a rapacious scavenging buzzard after a tasty piece of carcass, and WE OUT!:cry:
Hahhahahahaha!

Im going to say it and I know some will diagree and thats cool but to me thats CHEATING lol.. To me that kind of spoils the suprise and takes the fun out of diggin!! sort of like when you go to a spot and its all organized YUCK!! I like a certain randomness to my record hunting... Sure I know that times have changed but most of us use our expierence and portable TT if you have one..If not its still cool because you never know what your gonna get and besides everything is not on you tube..
lol Iam quite the opposite when I dig I usually know what I want and I am looking for just that. I don't want randoms anymore. I want something I am familiar with and I go for those.

I dont listen to the record before I buy it because I only buy dollar bin joints. If I buy something and it has absolutely nothing (highly unlikely) on it, then I've only lost $1. I'll just skip a soda and drink water that day. Lol. If I'm paying more than a dollar for it, (usually from ebay or amazon(shipping)) then its something I really want and have been looking for. I'll have probably listened to it on MP3 and know what on it!

I dont listen to the record before I buy it because I only buy dollar bin joints. If I buy something and it has absolutely nothing (highly unlikely) on it, then I've only lost $1. I'll just skip a soda and drink water that day. Lol. If I'm paying more than a dollar for it, (usually from ebay or amazon(shipping)) then its something I really want and have been looking for. I'll have probably listened to it on MP3 and know what on it!

thats dangerous homie. as a broke ass bummy mother****er, i understand the mindstate of paying ONLY little for records. But i always find myself talking myself out of records because they're expensive (anywhere from 5-20).. but then talking myself back into buying them purely on principle. there might be that golden in the rough. learned that from an old alchemist video where he says he'll pay anything for a record and it makes sense... you don't know whats on what as far as samples. with that said... if its something i think i can get for cheaper possibly somewhere down the road, i'll pass on it.

bottom line is... there is so much good stuff out there, only buying dollar records is like trophy fishing in the pond thats a few miles from the ocean.

thats dangerous homie. as a broke ass bummy mother****er, i understand the mindstate of paying ONLY little for records. But i always find myself talking myself out of records because they're expensive (anywhere from 5-20).. but then talking myself back into buying them purely on principle. there might be that golden in the rough. learned that from an old alchemist video where he says he'll pay anything for a record and it makes sense... you don't know whats on what as far as samples. with that said... if its something i think i can get for cheaper possibly somewhere down the road, i'll pass on it.

bottom line is... there is so much good stuff out there, only buying dollar records is like trophy fishing in the pond thats a few miles from the ocean.

I understand what your saying, but I disagree. When your good at what you do, you can make a beat from a single sound manipulated differently. mind is your limit. Im sure my dollar records can **** with your $20 stuff and what good is a $20 record that someone doesnt even know how to flip(not saying you, but just saying). People buy skull snaps album just for already been used loops. Smh.

I understand what your saying, but I disagree. When your good at what you do, you can make a beat from a single sound manipulated differently. mind is your limit. Im sure my dollar records can **** with your $20 stuff and what good is a $20 record that someone doesnt even know how to flip(not saying you, but just saying). People buy skull snaps album just for already been used loops. Smh.

yeah we come from the same mindstate.... i flip records. anything can be flipped, you're right. But i'll sample the 20 dollar record, the 1 dollar record and i'll sample the shirt off your back too. that's all i'm sayin.

yeah we come from the same mindstate.... i flip records. anything can be flipped, you're right. But i'll sample the 20 dollar record, the 1 dollar record and i'll sample the shirt off your back too. that's all i'm sayin.

Lol, I feel you. I just never pay more than a dollar for a record I've never heard. :monkey:

My rule is, if it's got cool looking brothers on the front and it's from the 70's its going to be good, haha not the best discrimination but hey. But yea if your only buying dollar records looking up each one could take you some time and chew your phone bill if your not near a wifi.

I use my phone to play a lot of pandora, so I have set some stations up to find samples. If something awesome comes on then I take a screen shot to rember

I used to have a list on my phone that I researched before goin to my spots...I never listened to them online, but if I like what I read about them, for instance, the players, label, instruments used or even song names (all the PYHITH remakes, etc.) I would write it in my little notepad on my phone and look for them. I dont really do it anymore, but go for what you know. It can be advantageous to use your smartphone, but a lot less thrilling and more time consuming....For me, the point of digging is for the surprise when i get back or listen to it at the station.

Back