Using a filter to create a baseline from a sample

StanleySteamer

Hey guys, I am having a little bit of difficulty with a sample of mine and I wanted some advice if possible. So basically I have this really tight sample. It is one bar and as far as I can tell the progression of it goes from B down to F#. The problem is like with most samples they are like perfect time or quantized or whatever so basically when it switched to F# it starts slightly earlier than normal time and it makes my baseline sound off because its not matching the samples baseline. So then basically I thought to myself maybe I should clone the sample, use a LPF and filter as much out as I can to get to a bassline. However when I did it, it is hard to tell when it comes in and out and I think its because its not very thick. I even filtered the bass off of the original sample with a HPF so that when the other baseline comes in u can really tell but its just not there. Any advice on to get a clean baseline filtered from a sample? To me it is the only way that I can add bass to this sample simply because of how off timing the progression of the bass in it is already. I have also tried just filtering the bass off the sample and then just putting my own baseline in but in the end it still sounds off.

Why not match your baseline timing with the timing of the sample. Just zoom in on the audio file and check (or listen closely) where the real bass kicks in and drag your own bass to that marker and the basses should align properly?

But to answer your question first you can use real steep filters on the sample to cut all excess frequencies. if its not thick or bassey enough put a low end harmonic generator plugin (like ReFuse Low Ender) on it to make it somewhat fatter and then eq and maybe comp properly.

If you're putting in your own bass and also keep the original then think of using the low low end part of your own bass(synth) and the top harmonics and everything of your sample. so the low part of the sample and high part of the synth don't interfere with each other.

But like i said. I would just check the timing of the sample and match my playing or midi notes to match the sample. And sometimes the bass starts but the boom part is some ms later. So check your envelope, sustain and attack setting to sound realistic (if the sample has a real bass player)

Hope this helps you out a bit.

El

Back