Unwanted Drum Slices

djnoceebah

Hi, I've been having this problem where I sample a track with heavy drums over it (including hihats). So my question is how to leave the sample "full" and crisp, without having to cutoff the higher frequencies with low pass filter? You could try to EQ it out but doesn't take all the hi hats out without, taking out your highs and some of your mmid. As far as I know there's no remove drum feature that actually works, so do you have to chop along the kicks and snares? And just avoid the chops you can get in between the high hats. Because it always leave weird cyball chops on the melody you want without filtering. Has anyone found a trick to overcome this problem. ------Peace, Noceebah

is it possible to post an example of the break you are referring to?
I think I know what you mean, but without the context of the actual break, it is hard to tell you what I would do and what techniques I would apply to achieve desired result.

It may be something as simple as decreasing your samplers sensitivity to where it places the cuts (less cuts placed throughout the break), then decreasing the length of each slice with perhaps some fade out or compression, but I'd really have to hear it to be accurate, I think.

Last edited:
Sometimes I work with it to get funky drum pattern never done. Just put my own drums on top, like a duet.

Other times I stripped down the frequencies as seperate samples from the OG with filters and EQ. I filter out the bassline, then filter out the highs, and then filter out the mids and I get 3 seperate samples that I later reassemble. It removes hihats by 85% but with your own drums on top its hardly noticable.

Melodyne can pinpoint and remove instruments but it will take patience. Its a new feature not perfected yet but thats the program that can do it without having artifacts from other instruments in the sample.

Yeah that's a good method that ILL GREEN mentioned.
It's a good technique that allows a lot of control over the sound sculpture of the sample youre working with. Used a lot in hiphop.

I was checking back to see if you might have posted a clip. In addition to what was stated above, mid side processing can also solo out certain things and allow you to extract them. Particularly useful for anything that is old funk and soul...if you look into and read about it (shouldnt take more than 15min) I'm sure you will find some sort of solution to your problem.

pretty good anwesrs already, need to dig into the mid side processing.

I try to chopp around the kick and snare, using light EQ to keep the hi-hats low.
Sometimes i just go for the melody and quietly let the drums play off beat in the background. lol - and other time i just give up....:sigh:

Sorry for late response. but yeah basically what Ill Green was talking about "artifacts". Okay that's a cool a technique, I'll try that out for sure. Thanks a lot, It kinda made me avoid sampling songs/parts of songs with loud drums, so this will help a ton. thanks again----peace

Back