Uneven kick/snare hits in most old-school samples

4DLux

I'm having trouble with sampling songs that seem to have changing tempos. The kick and snare hits sound on point, but if you look at the time-points on FL Studio, you can clearly see that every hit is off + or - by a small amount, so it never matches onto the drum pattern I create.

Obviously stretching or changing the project tempo can't fix this, in order to fix this you'd have to slice/chop the sample. However, when I do this, I take too much out, and it sounds choppy (like it's skipping, got too many gaps) it loses it's groove/funk.

On top of that, I gotta clone the original like 20 times (to be able to manipulate the pitch or stretch of each chop individually) (giving each it's own place on the mixer) then I have a ton of sample chops to work with and now I have latency issues.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, I can show you. Please help!:cry:

I'm not too familiar with FL studio, but I know a couple of other daws I've used (at least) has the ability to extract a groove template from an audio source, as in it can make the grid in your daw match the timing of the audio clip, instead of the other way around. You could investigate that, essentially hardwiring the grid to the somewhat off beat of your loop.

Last edited:
In Flstudio

1) set slice markers in Edison on kicks and snares.
2) send or drag to playlist
3) choose audio clip function slice into regions
4) use function or shortcut snap to grid.
5) make sure no time stretching is applied in audio clip settings
6) adjust tempo
7) make any clips that are two short unique and use stretch function pro default then drag clips to desired length.
8) does it work? Sound Good?
9) tweak again as needed.

or use warp to tempo in ableton.

or pick a different sample.

Back