Typical style of samples.

M&I

My type of samples I usually pick are very laid back and chill like (willie hutch, blue magic, dubstep etc...) What type of samples or people do y'all typical like to sample.

Doesnt really matter what the heck im sampling, im always turning out with a chill relaxing, psychotic beat... guess im reflecting myself in those beats

I sample so many different things, the sounds end up being something totally unlike my original sample. I programmed a PCM synth with nothing but me screaming like a death metal singer and it ended up sounding like a trance atmosphere pad! Just fool around with everything you can. I recorded my 10 year old farting and made a dubstep bass sound out of it, it was pretty funny..

I sample so many different things, the sounds end up being something totally unlike my original sample. I programmed a PCM synth with nothing but me screaming like a death metal singer and it ended up sounding like a trance atmosphere pad! Just fool around with everything you can. I recorded my 10 year old farting and made a dubstep bass sound out of it, it was pretty funny..

what is a pcm synth?

[SIZE=+2]PCM (Wavetable) Synthesis[/SIZE]PCM or Wavetable synthesis exploits the principle of Pulse Code Modulation (PCM) in order to make a digital recording (sample) of a real instrument, and then replay the sample in the synthesizer. It could be argued that a PCM synthesizer is not in fact a proper synthesizer at all, since nothing is actually being synthesized. However, a PCM synth is considerably more complex than might at first appear, since the pitchof the note being produced has to be varied according to the note commanded (normally via MIDI). A PCM synthesizer achieves this by altering the 'sampling' frequency used to recreate the time domain waveform in the PCM decoder; to put this simply if a note (from a piano, say) is recorded at a fixed sampling frequency (which must of course be at least twice the highest frequency component of the note), then we can recreate a lower note by decoding at a slower sample frequency, or a higher note by decoding at a higher sample frequency. (The actual frequency relationships are actually quite easy to work out).
The problem with this approach is that most real (acoustic) instruments have a harmonic content that varies with pitch, so varying the sample playback frequency only works well for notes close to the fundamental pitch of the note originally sampled. The only way to get round this problem is to record multiple samples of the real instrument (say, one per octave), so that the replayed note is never too far (in pitch) from the original sampled note. As a result PCM synths need large ROM storage for the sampled waveforms and even a single instrument such as a piano (which is admittedly one of the more difficult instruments to synthesize) may need many megabytes of ROM.
The earliest PCM synths were, in fact, Drum Machines so they did not have the problem of varying the sample playback frequency to achieve different note piches (the LINN Drum, for instance). The now common Sampler is, of course, a PCM synth with the added facility of being able to record, store and edit the sample.

Last edited:
so in short this means you recorded something and mapped that across the keyboard in your sampler? and played that sample in different pitches? there is allways a complicated way and a short and direct way to say something. but it sounds better when you say pcm synth.

sorta, the PCM I use is the one in Caustic2 (mostly because I produce for that software) it's not just mapping, it's filters,. like LFO's HP, BP etc, messing with the decay, sustain and cut-offs as well as res will. take you some crazy places.

Here's a good example, this song consist of a drum kit I created and 3 PCM's. 2 of the PCM's are using the same sample, a recording of my bass with distortion playing a quick run, but those 2 PCM's have drastically different settings so they don't sound alike anymore. The 3rd PCM is running 2 samples of electric guitar feedback and noise, filtered in the PCM to sound crazy. I should note there is a stock, dry 808 under it all for extra beef. PS, I make all my samples myself and would be happy to help with any other questions about sampling you might have. I guess you could say I sample for a living ha ;)

so which software or hardware are you using? causic 2 cant handle this name... i know all software samplers and the most synths but this name is new for me. I like working with hardware samplers ;-) im familair with sampling and sound design. Does the software u usw automatically timestretch the sample if you play it some octave up or down?

cheers

These days I make about 80% of my music with it. The only exception is when I'm doing work with my regular instruments (my bass, guitar etc.) It is really great software. It should be available on ipad soon as well. If you decide to try it let me know, I will send you some of my presets for free :)

Keep in mind also that I have been producing for 25 years, I master my tracks on a PC and analog gear.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Everyday!

I sample a little bit of everything. I really enjoy sampling electronic sounds and Jazz. I like psychedelic sounding music, so I use samples to get that type of sound.

Every Album has at least ONE DOPE SAMPLE on it...it doesnt matter if its a country, punk rock or hair metal band...In fact, the more I dislike the album, the more fun I have doing something completely twisted and radical with it...BTW, I have 1200 albums and 600 45rpms, and will never get bored with chopping, flipping and smacking down ANY drum loop or sample...

Back