types of sampling

drought

im kinda of confused about sampling. so my question is when you are sampling a song and you chop up lets say some horn hits from a song and assign them to pads and play out a new melody out of them this is sampling right? But wat about producers that just take little bit of a song and dont recreate a new melody but just reply the whole thing and maybe change it a little (like pitch or other instrument) is this sampling aswell?

Any help would be great and sorry for the newbie question, im just trying to get my head around sampling

Sampling is the act of taking a part of some recorded audio (any lenght) and reusing it as an instrument of sorts (with any technique possible).

this would probably be categorized under covering.If you remade whatever it'd be a cover if thats what you mean.
taking parts of a song and ither using your own way instead is remixing.

In both sampling is just well, taking samples of recorded audio man : /

this would probably be categorized under covering.If you remade whatever it'd be a cover if thats what you mean.

I thought he might have been talking about chopping a sample to tiny bits vs looping a longer sample. But it could be read as you did too.

If the new piece of music contains the actual recorded audio from the original recording, it is sampling. If the new piece of music contains a musical theme or a melody from the original but not the actual original audio, it has been replayed or interpolated (= small changes in melody usually done with an aim to make it legal without paying) instead of being sampled.

individual hits is sampling

segment of the song with processing is sampling

it is is the use of the audio from the original source that makes it sampling

recording your own playing and then using it in either form is still sampling, albeit custom sampling.

recording your own or others playing and using it unaltered in the final recording (i.e. not cutting and only applying fx in the traditional sense) is recording
- the distinction is very narrow but wider than a canyon when it comes to use

Last edited:
Chopping is taking bits and pieces of a sample to sequence your own work whereas looping is where you take a 2-4 bar loop from the sample and just repeat(loop) it. A lot of producers do both of them. Just do whatever suites you best as long as you are expressing yourself!

Didn't want to bring up new topic, so I decided to ask you guys here. As I read different reviews or see interviews, I tend to hear that for example that an artist has an unique style of sampling. I don't know if it is about precision (rather not) or the way of sampling, so I would like to ask you what do you think about it. One of the most common example is J Dilla, I have heard a lot that the way he sampled was/is unique, but I still quite don't understand why.

I could be wrong but he was one of the first beatmakers to make beats without quantize on I think.Like unquantized digital music is what im trying to say lol.

A couple ways to sample:
- use a mix of individual sounds and build a beat around that (drums, stabs, percussion, vocals, etc)
- loop an interesting part from a song
- mix of both ^^
- chop two loops from a song and put those together so it form a new loop which you can layer
- sample your own recording of a synth or instrument and make a beat around that

I thought he might have been talking about chopping a sample to tiny bits vs looping a longer sample. But it could be read as you did too.

Yeah, I thought OP was asking for differences between the loop and the flip.

Changes to pitch are often used on loops and flips - sometimes I'll change the pitch on a single chop. Only one hard and fast rule for me (we'll get there) You're creating something new (and hopefully dope) from something old - while paying homage to that something.
Only rule I really have is that I don't sample something I don't like.

Back