Tutorial: How to chop samples

whaddup Kev, I just found this site through SUPREME on the youtube, I've had the mpc100 for about 2 years now, mostly focusing on just digging for straight loops and adding whatever I felt for. This is going to help me alot in the future of understanding how to compose my own chops. You are great at explaining this stuff. peace!

I know it won't really be helpful to many people but lately i've found myself recording a sample then extracting a section I thought I wanted as one sample....but in turn extracting another section out of it and then another smaller one out of that extraction....of course if you keep each step of extractions and make a program it can turn into something pretty ****in beautiful!

I know this may be the norm for some people but others may not know.....I always think of one of those russian dolls when I chop that way....this is an alternative to getting a simple two bar loop and choppping it in to 16 equal parts.

russian-dolls.jpg

Last edited:
I know it won't really be helpful to many people but lately i've found myself recording a sample then extracting a section I thought I wanted as one sample....but in turn extracting another section out of it and then another smaller one out of that extraction....of course if you keep each step of extractions and make a program it can turn into something pretty ****in beautiful!

I know this may be the norm for some people but others may not know.....I always think of one of those russian dolls when I chop that way....this is an alternative to getting a simple two bar loop and choppping it in to 16 equal parts.

russian-dolls.jpg
I used to do that on my EPS classic, Mpc 2000 and Reason 5. It works but for me it was slower than this. If it works run with it.

I used to do that on my EPS classic, Mpc 2000 and Reason 5. It works but for me it was slower than this. If it works run with it.

it is def more time consuming....but I am open to all forms of sampling and always wanting to learn other styles...so either way this was a good find:cheers:

Thank you for the tutorial! I actually feel special. you said the make your own melody method isn't a common method.. and that right now is really the only way I know how to sample! hha =] none the less great video for a beginner like myself!

it is def fun trying to come up with a melody...just keep messing around with what you have chopped....funny thing is i tend to play with my eyes closed...not sure why but creatin a melody is easier that way for me.

of course if you know where the pads are when trying to hit em :cool:

Back