Tutorial: How to chop samples

I haven 't yet read most of this forum post, and I'm not very familiar with Live, but I know Cockos Reaper has some slightly similar features. There's the ability to drop in WAV file / track timeline markers and regions which are metadata stored in the files too, not just the project. They can be named and show up at the top as section names (like INTRO VERSE CHORUS VERSE CHORUS BRIDGE ENDING).

Anyways, there's also "stretch markers" for setting things on beat.

I'm feeling too lazy right now to hunt down the tutorial videos, but I've seen them a few years ago.
And I've used the features.

Most importantly, in recent years, Cockos added a function for the "Rendering" (main bounce out to WAV, etc) section.
I think it also has it's own manager and window and menu too.
Reaper, if you like, will export only specific marker regions that you've pre-chosen.

The nice thing is, even if you're importing WAV files from Wavosaur or SoundEdit or OcenAudio or ProTools or SoundForge or whatever, if there are standard markers they can be imported quickly into Reaper as if it were a standalone WAV editor. After that, it's really a quick task to export just the regions you want. There's also a tutorial video somewhere about that too.

I know that OcenAudio is a really nice free WAV editor, and you can configure it's "Export..." or "Export Selection..." to whatever you want for shortcut keys, while also configuring the file output format (such as 32-bit IEEE Linear PCM float WAV, which is simply 32-bit floating point WAV). There's built-in codec support for all the mainstream formats and even some of the nice wierder ones. So WavPack, FLAC, OPUS, AIFF, MP3, I think maybe even ALAC.

Once of the nicest things about OcenAudio (and Reaper) is that you can open MP4 video audio tracks as M4A/AAC right in the timeline/editor, as if it was just a regular WAV file. You might not be able to save, and you wouldn't want to if it's a video file, that might corrupt or destroy the video. However, you're dealing with duplicated audio that you can rename and save as it's own audio file. That's a great way to cope with audio from visuals.

If you really need those edited audio tracks back into your videos, there's always standalone video editing tools for that such as AVIdeMux (freeware), and several others on Android and iOS these days. Linux has a few freebies for that too, and probably anybody who does podcasting or vlogging already knows decades of info about that.

Main idea is that it might not be pure "chopping", but it can get the same results without so much about the amplitude.
If you've already edited the front and back of an audio section, and put it onto a beat grid, then you just snap to grid and split manually also as another quick technique. Then, you can import the lego audio chunks into whatever other sampler you're using, whether software or hardware.

I *REALLY* enjoy chopped melody syncopation styles. It's one of the best ways to put actual personality and style into a tune, and it doesn't have to be for remixes or "flipping". You can always construct or perform your own riffs, freeze them to WAV, then re-perform them as choppage.

The other nice thing about modern computer DAW (re-)sampling technique, is that the timestretching with or without pitch shifting tends to be top notch quality.

I hope this addition is helpful too.

P.S.-I think maybe even Audacity has similar functions in terms of markers and regions and importing/exporting.

Back