Which turntable?

B

bry04

Hello. I want to get into sampling vinyl, but I'm not sure which turntable to buy. I've heard that belt drive is best for strictly sampling, and direct drive is better for scratching. I mostly want the turntable to sample, but I want to be able to do a little bit of scratching aswell. What type of turntable do y'all suggest? Any specific brand/model? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

depends if u on a budget or not, i was and got a **** pair of soundlab decks but they do the job as all i do is sample with them, if u gotta bit of cash 2 blow, look round the numark, Stanton ranges, u can get pretty good packs for a good price, anythin above that ur lookin at a nice pair of technics, which will probably rape your wallet. pzzzzzz

stay away from vestax turntables...they are crap and the distribution and customer service are awful...i've had a broken pdx-2000 for almost two years..its been to two certified vestax repair places...the table is still broke...vestax knows that there are problems with the motor (and speed problems) and the tonearm (blanace problems) but dont do anything about it...also, triple s services (repair place in new jersey) which is certified by vestax does a "sloppy job" according to joe jack giacopelli (THE VESTAX MANAGER IN THE US!!)...now, to make my problems better, they are sending me a new turntable and just taking my old one...or at least thats what i was told almost three weeks ago, but nuthin has happened yet...they are all over in CA pointing there fingers at each other for whos fault it is that they suck...summary: stay away from vestax if you can

Check the DJ boards. You'll find plenty of suggestions there. And you'll get more feedback.

And it's not that belt drives are best for sampling. It's that direct drives are not necessary for sampling.

If you want to scratch even a little, get a direct drive table. Technic 1200s or 1210s are always good. I have a set of Numark TTXs that I would also recommend. Stanton also has some quality tables.

There are cheaper alternatives if you're not planning on getting into DJing.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to look into getting a direct drive turntable...possibly a Technics or Numark. Thanks again.

stay away from dj turntables.....they arent made for sampling...they are made for DJING.....scratching...cutting.....and the like......you want to sample....you get a quiet turntable....something belt driven....and invest in a hifi needle/cartridge.....not a dj needle/cartridge...

go with technics.....not 1200's like someone above mentioned.....instead go with thier belt drive line......

if you want dj..well....you already heard from the top

Last edited by a moderator:
bry04 said:
Will I still be able to do some scratching on a belt drive?

nah...no scratching on a belt drive....you will get superior sound quality however

Last edited by a moderator:
LiQuiD6 said:

nah...no scratching on a belt drive....you will get superior sound quality however

I agree...scratching and belt drive shouldn't even be used in the same sentence...but how do you figure the sound quality is better on a belt drive ?

i've used alot of the diff/ models out there and have to admit my 1200's are the best i've used for sampling and scratching with numarks a close (but very unreliable) second.
every numark tt200 and up is nice but they have serious issues with burning out.
for the price theyre nice for sampling and scratching. (they come with both straight and s arms)

as far as belt being better. i fully dissagree. if your saying it bassed on rumble and wow flutter your crazy check the stats on 1200s. also use a thick slip mat and audiophile style needles for sampling. although i'll be honest i usually use my m44 7's instead of switching to my m44 g's ( the g''s sound better but if you eq right you'll be fine)

If you try to scratch on belt drives, then you'll just burn out the belt eventually. Might as well get the tech1200 in the first place, especially since you want to scratch. They are expensive, but the are the best and most reliable. Check out some pawn shops. sometimes you can find them for $100. I got a pair of numark tt1520 direct drives when I started DJing around '98. I still use them to mix, scratch and lift samples. They are actually pretty decent. stanton al500 cartridges are good all purpose cartridges too.

also the 1200's are easy to fix, if they ever get broken. I bought mine for 100 bucks in a pawnshop. The electronics are easy to find and to fix

Back