Tips when filtering samples

StanleySteamer

Hey guys, as the title says I am looking for tips on filtering samples. Currently the one I am working with has drums in it and I filtered around 200 EQ off the low end and filtered off 12k of the high end. I read somewhere in a article that this was a generally good way to start off as far as filtering but as I am listening to the final product of my track I feel like maybe I am nuking too much low or high or possibly both and making my sample not as powerful. Any feedback much appreciated!

well it depends on what your want out from the sample... Like in what frequency spectrum do you want your sample to reside in. If lets say you sampled some shit with drums like you said, but you dont want the bassline, then filtering away anything below 200 is a good place to start, but doing so would thin out the drums so you would have to compensate by layering your own drums on top of the existing ones.

Hey thanks for the response. Yeah my sample has drums and I am trying to filter them out and cover them with my own. Is 200 too much? Cutting around 100 seems to keep some more elements in but I am wondering if I am leaving too much in the low end area for my drums to shine. Feedback always appreciated thanks

Don't forget if you are trying to get rid of drums (while putting your own over them) you can also compress the sample to squash em down. Works better on certain types of samples, but it's definitely an option.

if you have ableton, try throwing on the utility preset called "difference" or google how to achieve that sound in other DAWs. it essentially takes what is centered in the mix and lowers the volume, while boosting what's different on the sides, which has worked well for me depending on the sample

Back