Tips on sampling better?

XerobX

I'm pretty much a rookie at this and I made some efforts to sample and I kinda like them, but not really. They sound lame and I wanna make my own beats and rap on them like J.Cole and Kanye West. So here are my beats:

First Beat:

Second Beat:

And heres what I want to sound like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtfrvgKpPG4
AND
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COguovTkbac

Anybody have any tips like genres used to make beats like this even though thats kinda a silly question.

just keep practicing man, hard and consistent work will go a long way. and keep experimenting. layer samples. play with the stereo field. all that, but most importantly keep creating.... sample selection is one of the most important things as well.. for drums, samples, and sounds in general

Practice is definitely key, closely followed by selection. Selection will be something you will get better at with practice. The process is a nice tidy loop.

not bad at all on your beat making. im not sure how far along you are but i was terrible at first. you obviously understand some basic things about sampling that are definitely a good sign. there are definitely some elements missing from the beats but i wouldn't be worried about that. are you able to sample songs straight off of youtube? i can send you some good songs to sample if you can. peace.

80% of the final sound is the sample itself. If the sound sucks no matter the mixing it will still suck. It will suck less, but suck nevertheless.

Get some great samples and work on them, check out some mixing lessons and you're ready to go

not bad at all on your beat making. im not sure how far along you are but i was terrible at first. you obviously understand some basic things about sampling that are definitely a good sign. there are definitely some elements missing from the beats but i wouldn't be worried about that. are you able to sample songs straight off of youtube? i can send you some good songs to sample if you can. peace.

Yeah bro I can sample off of youtube. if you can still send me a link or two ill apprreciate it.

Sampling is 90% the sample and 10% what you do with it. Just keep at it and develop your ear.

exactly, it all deppends on the sample, if you already hear your song while listening to the song, it's a good sample..

to be honest, my beats sounded the same when I started making beats and trying to sample..

you just have to get more variations and a little more melodic, make the beat come to live, yet yours sounds pretty monotone and stiff, second thing you wanna lay your focus on is mixing, that's also where the beats comes to live!
Keep on practicing and you'll get to the point where you wanna be

For the longest time I thought I was a lame sampler and after digging for 6-7 months comes to find out what I was sampling wasn't ment for sampling and when I finally got a decent sample...boom killed it

Back