Tips on improving Tom Fills?

So in the context of the track - they sound
1) out of tune with the surrounds, this is the downside of trying to time-stretch or pitch-shift existing stuff
2) the 4th version of the tom should just stop and let the other sound ring through

Composing a tom fill takes about as much time as composing a snare fill, only you need to think in terms of three or four sounds in the fill rather than just the one.

I think it is worth the effort to compose your own fills rather than try to pitch-shift an existing sample that may not work the whole way through......

So in the context of the track - they sound
1) out of tune with the surrounds, this is the downside of trying to time-stretch or pitch-shift existing stuff
2) the 4th version of the tom should just stop and let the other sound ring through

Composing a tom fill takes about as much time as composing a snare fill, only you need to think in terms of three or four sounds in the fill rather than just the one.

I think it is worth the effort to compose your own fills rather than try to pitch-shift an existing sample that may not work the whole way through......

I tried what you said, #2. Can you explain everything else? I didn't timestretch anything. I dragged a sample into the project & started playin the keys. Should I fine-tune or use one of them VSTs I stated? Or are you saying I should just use more then one tom sample w/ possibly a snare/stick thrown in there as well.

I tried what you said, #2. Can you explain everything else? I didn't timestretch anything. I dragged a sample into the project & started playin the keys. Should I fine-tune or use one of them VSTs I stated? Or are you saying I should just use more then one tom sample w/ possibly a snare/stick thrown in there as well.

Simply by playing the sample with the keys you automatically get a pitch-shifted version - most algorithms that do this apply it as either a time-based change (make it slower and the pitch goes lower) which is then put back to the original time-frame of the sample i.e. after shifting the pitch down they shrink the time range or they will do a pitch change which doesn't affect the time at all. Both versions introduce quirks to the signal....

The pitch-shifting will not necessarily track to your project key, so maybe tweaking the pitch a little wouldn't go astray.

I'd demonstrate, but working with mp3s is pointless as the encoding/decoding will add unwanted stuff the signal anyway.

The pitch-shifting will not necessarily track to your project key, so maybe tweaking the pitch a little wouldn't go astray.

I'd demonstrate, but working with mp3s is pointless as the encoding/decoding will add unwanted stuff the signal anyway.

It's true. Thanks anyway. I'm sure we'll meet again soon.. :cheers:

Back