tips for eq and mixing bass?

What I've found is that if you're using a synthesizer for bass, it's best to use one note for your chords. Also, I usually cut at about 90-95hz due to undesirable boom. Best of luck.

A lot of people will usually say things like don't boost frequencies and rather just lower them and technical things to that effect (still good advice), but I've found that the most useful advice anybody has ever given me is to just use and trust your ear. If it sounds good, then it sounds good. There's no proper way way to do it really; music isn't a science.

Also, when you're mixing bass, you should have like 3 frames of reference when you're listening to it to make sure it doesn't sound good on one medium, but shit on the other. What I mean by that is if you're mixing with studio headphones, give it a listen on some speakers, and give it a listen on some earbuds or something.

Last edited:
A low pass filter will let you make it less muddy and keep it out of your mids, then you can notch it to let your kick drum come through. You also generally want your bass more in the center so widening your higher parts will give the bass its own space.

any good tips?

Source info:
New strings.
Good bass.
Good player.

or good VSTi library.

Mixing info:
Spend time on recording or find a good library (see info above) so you won't have worry about much post-process
Bass can usually handle lots of compression especially in modern genres.
Layering can work.
Multiband compressor can work (mostly as a corrective tool)

In general:
Get it right at the source just like everything

Back