Timing The sample

T

Ty08

Ok i am new to sampling, but i know a couple of things. OK first you have to effect the tempo to get the timing of the loop so when you make a beat its on cue. But the things is when i try to do that using the metronome i do no know what to listen for (in fl studio 6 xxL) when you hear that clicking sound. Can someone help me in understanding the timing thanks!!!!! :)

Depending on what time you're using for the beat (most people use 4/4 cuz its popular and easy) the metronome will hit on each quarter note of the measure.

In 4/4 time a measure is 4 quarter notes long.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4, 1 - 2 - 3 - 4, etc.

usually snares are on the 2nd and 4th beat, and usually there's a bass drum on the first beat. But there's really no rules to it. So if you're just matching a beat(or sample) to a metronome you can try to listen to the snare hitting on the 2nd and 4th metronome click, or just match a loop to some division of 4, 8, 12, 16, or whatever 'notes' long. In FL studio there's probably an easier way to time a sample than by metronome but I don't use FL.

If you're just starting you may want to read about some basic music theory. Just search for it.

Good luck.

FOTNS

ok this is one of the hardest things with sampling.
1st) Play with the tempo if u cant find the tempo up beteen 140 - 199
Go down sooner or later yall find the tempo.
2nd)Pending on the sample u have somtimes there is no set tempo
for example a live band recording tempo might slighty change @ da part u want to sample.
3rd)If it is a drum machin recordin it shouldin be hard to find tempo
4th)Try usin programs like Magix to claculate the right tempo for you
This program is very useful (at least 4me)

www.myspace.com/moshighestproductions

Im having a similar problem on my fantom....WHne I try to match up my samples to a tempo...it either makes the sample go that much more slower or faster....and then with the time stretching, that only distorts it. Anyone have tips for me?

dHanEdIEsiL said:
Im having a similar problem on my fantom....WHne I try to match up my samples to a tempo...it either makes the sample go that much more slower or faster....and then with the time stretching, that only distorts it. Anyone have tips for me?

If there's an auto time stretch function on your program turn it off. If you have a "use original pitch" option on your program then turn it on. My program I do not use a loop finder or anything like that. I simply find the bpm of the original sample and cut it up from there. Now when I have a beat I want @ 90 or 85 but my sample is around 110 or 120 it sounds horrible when it's slowed down. So instead of getting my bpm @ 120 I set the bpm to around 60 (in half) and it speeds up the sample. Then I turn the pitch down on the sample so it matches the original (because it will stay on tempo and because 60 is closer to 85 than 120. It may have some distortion but then I'll just warm it up by eq'ing out some of the treble or mids. I found that when I started out I would use the loop finder and the bpm would come out wicked fast and then I'd slow it down and it would sound like booty. Since i've stopped using that and generally just getting a bpm for the entire song I"m sampling it works out better.

Back