Thought I was good...Then I found this board

Usual21

Hey everyone,

I go by Usual21 or just Usual. Always been a musical person, and finally got my hands on FL 9 in January. I've always loved samples and anytime I would hear a song with a good sample in it, I would mentally stash it away for when I could finally get it down on a track. Like the title mentions, I thought I was getting good, but then I hear all of your tracks.

My samples are just that for now. Samples. No chops yet. Still trying to figure out midi keyboard I just purchased. My music can be heard at theusualbeats.blogspot.com

All criticism is welcome. But remember, that I've only been at this for 2 months.

Later,
Usual

Can u send me that snare u used for "Dolemite"? dope...

the only thing i cud say...is well your drums sound nice, but u need to work on how they mesh with the sample...and the hi hats seem a little stiff...try messing with the velocity, to give it a human feel. and try doing some intros before the beat drops.

Besides some minor mixing issues your beats sound nice. You can learn that mixing shyt as you go along but as of right now for 2 months you have a great ear for samples( Even though quite a few have been used) which can be a major problem for new beat makers.

You have a real golden era sound too which i love(shyt i grew up on it). I can hear mad potential in you making even more absolute bangers in the future... good work man.

Oh yeah... first track is my fav... Smooth... throw some bass under that and thats set...dope beat.

good choice on the samples and drums just keep making music everyday, you can never run out of sick samples ;)

Thanks for the kind words. I know I have a long way to go, but I truly enjoy doing this. I'm on my PC about 3-4 a night looking for samples, getting the drums just right, or just listening to other people's flips. As far as mixing goes, I know that I went a little crazy with some filters. But I figure that I'll be doing this for a while and I'll get the hang of it.

I also got lucky that I was able to get an Oxygen 8 V2 Midi Keyboard that lists at $130 for only $75. I'm still getting used to it, but it's amazing at what you can with a program, a keyboard, and your imagination. See you guys around.

p.s. I have some crazy samples that I would love to hear what someone else does with them. I'll post them this weekend.

i like your style and the only i could say is try making some up tempo beats with faster bpm... your beats r cool but it seems like you were stoned while making them or have to be stoned to listen to them.. :) Like i said i like your style but try get more up tempo. other than that great job.

funny you say that...not stoned..but half asleep sometimes. I gotta wait for the kids to go down and once quality time with wifey is over, I finally get some time to myself. This is usually around 11:00 p.m. or later. I usually wake up face down on the keyboard, with my headphones on like Q in the movie "Juice", lol.

I really liked "Horns" and I can relate to the finding time between your fam and making beats lol. I try to whip something up during nap time, but sometimes that doesn't even work out for me. I'm the wifey in the equation so I still have 1 million things to do like dinner and laundry. Then I have to wait for my husband to be done with the computer too. Le sigh lol.

Back