there are no rules in sampling but should there be guidelines?

So it would not bother u if u were working hard to get a dope track and try to be original and when other dudes atr just looping and making a beat in less than ten minutes. That aint tight at all anf cant believe that so much people dnt try to make it harder to push the better and more creative producer out them selfs. Im sure these thoughts are in peoples heads but I guess if a beatmaker ia getting paid big bucks from doing loops why is the next guy gonna set back and not do that right.

http://joeytunez.com/track/bottom-b-tch

This is a sample i flipped not to long ago for the sake of doing a million chops. its minced up pretty hard (most of the chops i didn't even end up using). most people that hear it aren't impressed, not because its not chopped enough but because it just doesn't sound like something that makes someone want to bob there head

http://joeytunez.com/album/crystal-skullz

this is essentially two or three loops of a sample and some loud as drums, people in the studio was nodding to it.

the point isn't what took more skills, just what people like, often times we as producers forget that all the technical savvy and know how means nothing to the people listening to the music, they just wanna hear something that bumps.

us basing song popularity off of how hard it was to make is like a chef basing how good a dish was off of how long it took rather than the actual taste.
this isn't ice skating, we award no points for degree of difficulty of the track attempted.

Last edited:
So it would not bother u if u were working hard to get a dope track and try to be original and when other dudes atr just looping and making a beat in less than ten minutes. That aint tight at all anf cant believe that so much people dnt try to make it harder to push the better and more creative producer out them selfs. Im sure these thoughts are in peoples heads but I guess if a beatmaker ia getting paid big bucks from doing loops why is the next guy gonna set back and not do that right.

OK. So lets say I loop up 2 or 4 bars, whatever. That didn't take 10 minutes. I went out, dug for records, bought records, came home and listen through them, find sample and take sample then do my thing.

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

Bottom B¡tch | joeytunez

This is a sample i flipped not to long ago for the sake of doing a million chops. its minced up pretty hard (most of the chops i didn't even end up using). most people that hear it aren't impressed, not because its not chopped enough but because it just doesn't sound like something that makes someone want to bob there head

Crystal Skullz | joeytunez

this is essentially two or three loops of a sample and some loud as drums, people in the studio was nodding to it.

the point isn't what took more skills, just what people like, often times we as producers forget that all the technical savvy and know how means nothing to the people listening to the music, they just wanna hear something that bumps.

us basing song popularity off of how hard it was to make is like a chef basing how good a dish was off of how long it took rather than the actual taste.
this isn't ice skating, we award no points for degree of difficulty of the track attempted.

Speaking truth

Bottom B¡tch | joeytunez

I didnt see this as a loop but just good sized chops the top one was good as well but it had smaller chops. Im talking about when dudes just let a one shot play all the way threw with nothing but the same arrangment. Tight beats by the way

Bottom B¡tch | joeytunez

exactly. At the end of the day its a great song or its not. At this point I could give 3 fu*ks less about a beat or how intricately the beat was made. Gimme a great song.

dmajor,

first off thanks, secondly i feel i what your trying to say but nicro made an interesting counterpoint. there may be those few times where you just find that sample and its so sauce and so rare that you just gotta put drums on it and its ready for the big show but even then it doesn't take into account the hours it took to find said record.

i been spending the last 5 days listening to gawd awful 80's music looking for a sample or two that would inspire me. it got so bad that i just started composing a few originals to help be more productive. when i finally do find a sample most will only count the few hours it takes for me to chop it and select proper drums. its not that easy.

omg just make what you want to make. I can't believe people are taking time out of their lives to be upset about other people not getting creative enough. If you're chopping and somebody thats looping is getting more credit than you then they are making better beats. sampling is sampling whether you chop or not your still using audio you didn't record. In fact there are tons of unseasoned producer who are chopping the shit out of their records playing their chops and quantizing everything til the shit sounds robotic, when they should have just looped something and kept a "groove" of the original. People are so obsessed with the ****ing quantize button? do you not have rhythm?

Idk why ppl get so butt hurt about this as if this looping thing is the only way u can go on living.

---------- Post added at 03:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 AM ----------

This thread is done ive said what I had to

This thread is done

busey_clapping.gif

I think this whole topic depends on where you trace your love of Hip Hop too. If the farthest you go back is the first Kev Brown album or some shit you will have a very different view of how beats should be, if you go back to "Illmatic" or "Enter the 36 Chambers" or earlier you will have a different view.

Being a sample based producer is based around your records. Its a CULTURE. It is an entity of its own, just like the rest of Hip Hop. Its all about digging. Dope samples and dope drums. The only reason I would see someone complaining about looping is if you just leech off the "flip this" section for everything. Having dope samples handed to you could change you.

dmajor,

first off thanks, secondly i feel i what your trying to say but nicro made an interesting counterpoint. there may be those few times where you just find that sample and its so sauce and so rare that you just gotta put drums on it and its ready for the big show but even then it doesn't take into account the hours it took to find said record.

i been spending the last 5 days listening to gawd awful 80's music looking for a sample or two that would inspire me. it got so bad that i just started composing a few originals to help be more productive. when i finally do find a sample most will only count the few hours it takes for me to chop it and select proper drums. its not that easy.
Why listen to bad music for one sample? I never understood that just listen to stuff you like and sample that. I am very picky about 80s music but I know what i am buying before I do when I go to the record store.
omg just make what you want to make. I can't believe people are taking time out of their lives to be upset about other people not getting creative enough. If you're chopping and somebody thats looping is getting more credit than you then they are making better beats. sampling is sampling whether you chop or not your still using audio you didn't record. In fact there are tons of unseasoned producer who are chopping the shit out of their records playing their chops and quantizing everything til the shit sounds robotic, when they should have just looped something and kept a "groove" of the original. People are so obsessed with the ****ing quantize button? do you not have rhythm?
why can't we have a discussion w/o people getting all weirded out by it? Its like people don't want to talk to each other about anything no more. Debate or not its still just convo
Idk why ppl get so butt hurt about this as if this looping thing is the only way u can go on living.

---------- Post added at 03:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 AM ----------

This thread is done ive said what I had to

Do you feel better? Should those of us that play keys look down on you for sampling since most would say that playing keys or any other instrument is harder than sampling? Should the guy using 2 turntables still look down upon us that use software because software makes things too easy?

Why listen to bad music for one sample? I never understood that just listen to stuff you like and sample that. I am very picky about 80s music but I know what i am buying before I do when I go to the record store.

why can't we have a discussion w/o people getting all weirded out by it? Its like people don't want to talk to each other about anything no more. Debate or not its still just convo

Do you feel better? Should those of us that play keys look down on you for sampling since most would say that playing keys or any other instrument is harder than sampling? Should the guy using 2 turntables still look down upon us that use software because software makes things too easy?

Hey im just saying I feel that producers can be more than the average beatmaker and push them selfs to do things that are harder and something alot of good samplers cant do. Yes in a way chopping is easy but ive made tracks in the past
Were u a sampler could tell but a listener could not. And yes hooks are very cool espically with vocals but thats not what im talking about either.

i think people need to stop worrying about things like this so much. if you loop, you loop. do what you do. i don't care what you do, i only care what i do. and i do what i feel like doing at the time, whether it be looping, chopping, or whatever.

at the end of the day, a hot beat is a hot beat. people don't judge how hot a beat is based on the process you took to make it. that would be dumb.

How does this have anything to do with my comment? Wtf do you even mean by "weirded out?" Like you said it'? s just a convo and all I did was state my opinion on the subject.

Why think so hard about beats? Maybe its just me but its like yeah I make beats sure its fun but I don't care nearly as much about a beat as I do about a completed piece of work. To me a terrible vocal can ruin a great song regardless of how dope the beat is and a terrible beat with a great vocal can still make up a good song and vice versa. The song is whats important at the end of the day. Thats why I think talking down on loops is silly. Its just a part of a song. If we were to talk down on things that made music easier we should talk down on things like software or mpcs and go back to drum sets, acoustic guitars and violin music. I actually kinda welcome that.

Back