Is there anything wrong with using Sample Packs?

Just read something about a 15-year old who earns insane royalties from licensing songs strictly made with Acid Loops. So, maybe your own inner integrity is up for debate, but the industry doesn't seem to mind.

Lol, those who care, just like to nitpick and troll. Drumkits are sample packs. Putting handmade samples into a folder? Samplepack. Downloading free drum sounds off freedrumkits.net and other sites? Samplepacks.

Sampling is basically remixing, still remember when that was the buzzword.

I agree with KonKossKang in general. I think that people find difference in using drum kits and using samples that you've mentioned (like random 10 seconds jazz sample) because searching for those perfect jazzy samples takes more time and effort to come accross i guess. We know how much certain producers are serious about crate digging and not sharing their samples with anyone. Technology took some sense out of it, but a lot of people still have that mind set.

The only reason i don't really prefer to use samples from these samples packs is because that way i don't know the title and artist of the original songs. It's usually not titled, at least from my experience so far. I have downloaded a few sample packs that people were giving out for free and they all had random titles, or i would work with a rapper who would send me like 50 samples with his own weird titles lol.

Using samples or loops in your productions can be a great way to save time and get more tracks done quickly.

I don't recommend using ONLY samples/loops from samplepacks to make your music, but you can get some great content for your music from samplepacks.

You can tweak the samples by chopping, re-arranging, filtering, fx, etc to make them more original in your own tracks.

Unless you want to make every single sound in your music yourself of course (some producers prefer this way too).

But this will take much longer for you to make FINISHED tracks.

BTW - "samplepacks" do not usually contain samples from copyrighted records, which is why you can use them without fear of getting sued for using someone else's music.

:)
JUNEBUG

I think sample packs are fine as long as the producer is being as creative as possible. I'd rather hear someone create something unique and dope using only sounds from a sample pack than to hear a 90's P Diddy style beat that someone spent hours crate digging for.

Panda Bear said he used sample packs for his new album.....NOBODY sounds like Panda Bear...truly unique musician... so as with any other type of sample, it just depends on how you use it.

Song construction kits on the other hand....always wack lol

Last edited:
personally, i dont download samplepacks. I feel there isnt no gain in skill when your just downloading samplepacks. Youll definitely have more music and you wont worry about picking the wrong record, but, youll be to used to just looking for a new sample other then working with what you got. Thats wjere skill comes in. Personally, i feel that people who download all their packs dont gain the skill of producers who limit themselves digging thru the crates. i also feel like im cheating myself. When you limit yourself, that's when your most creative juices flow. the most i'll take from the net is a accapella. I just feel weird downloading a samplepack someone else made. Id rather have fun, digging thru records, playing thru video games and movies, and finding that perfect sample. Its the feeling and the limitations that bring out the best in me. But what works for one person may not work for another.

Back