Techniques for Vintage Drum Sampling

Ive been studyin cats like Pete Rock, Marley Marl, Easy Mo Bee, 45 King and gear like the Sp-1200, S900, S950 and im trying to replicate that sound with todays technolgy. when i sample my snares and kicks from vinyl into the computer they sound horrible compared to Easy Mo bee espcially the snares. Do i have to downgrade sample rate, eq differently, or use some type of converter. i was thinkin of just gettin some vinyage gear and mixing it with todays equipment. what are you guys techniques to achieve this.
(Heres my setup)
Logic Platinum 6
Powerbook G4
PowerMac G4
Technics 1200's
Vestac 2 Ch. Mixer
Motu 828Mk2
Edirol Midi Keyboard
Korg 01w
Yamaha Motif Rack
Soon to get Mpc4000 or 2000XL or Sp-1200 w/ S950 or Asr-10

Last edited:
My patna in crime degrades his bit rate to as low as 12800 sometimes. But his drums sound I'll, though he only has a few original drums he's sampled. It's hard to get your snare to crack like pete's. I got a couple of dope drums that I really really like but they were just luck of the draw joints. Old, on acid, flower-power, 1960's, rock groups got some ill drums. You might wanna out some records.

You want a nice snare just chop up The Honey Drippers-Impeach the President or even Queen- We Will Rock you for a nice clap :monkey:

Some of those older samplers have the capability to sample in 12-bit so you get a whole different sound. I never came across any software program that could do this, it's either 16-bit or 8-bit. You ever listen to the 'Reflection Eternal' album by Hi-Tek and Talib Kweli. Hi-Tek samples in 12-bit a lot too and not just the drums but samples also and I think he uses the MPC60 for a lot of it. That album has some dope tracks on it.

wescadwell said:
You want a nice snare just chop up The Honey Drippers-Impeach the President

I've used that snare several times, and every time, people ask "IS THAT A NAS SNARE?", lol, just because the break was used in Nas - I Can (I think it was produced by Saleem Remi, if that's the correct way of writing it). Lovely snare though, definitely one of my favourite snare sounds. I actually like the Nas version of the break better, since they've compressed it pretty heavily, especially the kick.

Last edited:
1/2 The BeatKingz said:
Ive been studyin cats like Pete Rock, Marley Marl, Easy Mo Bee, 45 King and gear like the Sp-1200, S900, S950 and im trying to replicate that sound with todays technolgy. when i sample my snares and kicks from vinyl into the computer they sound horrible compared to Easy Mo bee espcially the snares. Do i have to downgrade sample rate, eq differently, or use some type of converter. i was thinkin of just gettin some vinyage gear and mixing it with todays equipment. what are you guys techniques to achieve this.
(Heres my setup)
Logic Platinum 6
Powerbook G4
PowerMac G4
Technics 1200's
Vestac 2 Ch. Mixer
Motu 828Mk2
Edirol Midi Keyboard
Korg 01w
Yamaha Motif Rack
Soon to get Mpc4000 or 2000XL or Sp-1200 w/ S950 or Asr-10

I have an SP1200 and S950. I would recommend you start with the S950 first since it is really cheap and available these days. Buy and max it out with some memory and start with that to incorporate the 12bit into your current setup. You will be very impressed with the S950. Sample some vinyl into that thing and mess with the filters... Good times!

the real key is finding something that will allow u to record at that low of a rate not to down sample when u down sample u still have all of the artifacts from the original recording in the down sampled copy its designed to downsample but stay as high as possible vs recording at the point where u want it and the machine just grabs as much as it can and misses stuff thats what makes these devices great is the imperfection that comes from missing the artifacts and thats the secret ur not gonna get that with a computer

orjanbeats said:
I've used that snare several times, and every time, people ask "IS THAT A NAS SNARE?", lol, just because the break was used in Nas - I Can (I think it was produced by Saleem Remi, if that's the correct way of writing it). Lovely snare though, definitely one of my favourite snare sounds. I actually like the Nas version of the break better, since they've compressed it pretty heavily, especially the kick.

^they also used the break in Biggie's 'Unbelieveable' in which it sounded pretty tight

the best drum break i think is from 'Sorceror of Isis' by Power of Zeus.
its really raw and its heavy but its the ****.

another set which is overused is 'when the leevee breaks' by led zeplin
which is also pretty good

so if you're looking for nice drums you have to look at some old funk and rock joints and your bound to find something hot

sorceror of isis

i have looking all over the place for this one, do you have that and the led zeppelin aviable in wav-format? i can trade it with you if ya like! / peace fredrik

all 60 all psychedelic always vinyl or use the vst's vinyl scratch for and authenticity or sample at a lo-bit rate while creating drums with a vinyl crack/scratch in the background it always works on my drums.

MOST of The Above stated Advice Will Work Also.............

You Have A Mac..........

So Im Guessin You Use Peak IF NOT GET IT and Sample Your Drums Into Peak at 78rpm off Vinyl also you May Want To Go To this SPOT................................

http://www.phatdrumloops.com/old_site/full_list.html

Some of these are in Poor Quality BUT THAT MIGHT STILL WORK OUT FOR YOU IN MANY CASES...............

Back