Spend money on Vinyl to USB or Keep sampling mp3?

The title says It all really, I'm New to producing only been ****ing around with it for the past 2 months, But every day I'm getting better and wondering If these Youtube Rips and iTunes Downloads for samples Is hurting the overall quality of my beats.

Do you guys think I should take the leap for a Vinyl to USB to sample off vinyl like Hip hop producers have been doing for years, Or stick with technology and keep ripping youtube mp3s. What do you guys use?

And If so What's a good Vinyl to USB converter that is alright for a good price? One of my Fav producers on youtube uses a NUmark have you guys heard good things?

Good reasons to get a turntable (that's what it is called, not a vinyl to usb converter):
1. You like the idea of using physical records.
2. You are interested in crate digging and want to have that as a part of your beat making process and lifestyle.
3. You want to collect vinyl records.
If these don't interest you, stick to digital files. Sound imo isn't necessarily a very good reason to transition to sampling from vinyl records.

You don't need usb to get audio from vinyl into your computer, so any turntable will get it done. All you need is to plug the RCA audio cables from the turntable to a phono preamp and from there to your computer's audio input. The usb is usually there to sell more to people who want to digitalize their record collections and are afraid of cables and/or don't have any recording software (usually some digitalizing software comes with those turntables). This of course means that many cheap turntables have usb. You will need a phono preamp to get line level signal. Some turntables have one built in, for example every tt with usb has one, but you can purchase one for like $30-$50 (search phono preamps with google). You will also need a cartridge and a needle for it, unless yours already doesn't come with them. Cartridges and needles are sold together, just make sure you don't order a needle replacement instead of the whole package.

So a Numark will do fine. Their product range varies from enty-level to professional DJ gear, so it would be a good idea to ask for experiences based on the model. Their TTUSB gets mentioned here often and I'd presume that you have been looking at that model. It should do what you need to get done.

Last edited:
I just feel Like the process I'm going through Isn't "REAL" just Dl mp3, I would love to have vinyls And to know the work I put into finding it Creating it Etc.

Maybe I will wait until I'm better at what i do before I pull the trigger though. Yes I looked at the Numark TTUSB Model

Look, I'm not a sampler when it comes to beats because that isn't where my heart is at, and I know I'm gonna get a lot of hate/stink from some of these old school guys who have been using vinyl but I think that digitally sampling in a way is better because it is more accurate (you can actually see the sound wave patterns and click accurately) and it's cheaper to do (you don't need any gear really to do this). If I were to make sample beats though I probably would have an MPC or something with pads with my digitally-extracted samples loaded on the pads + drums.

If you're going to go the vinyl route though, you're gonna need a decent collection of vinyls. I don't know what country you're from, but here in Canada I've found the best place to get them are at thrift stores like Salvation Army or Value Village, and I've never been to a Goodwill but they probably have a section for that too and I know for sure they have Goodwills in the USA if you live there.

If you're going to go the vinyl route though, you're gonna need a decent collection of vinyls. I don't know what country you're from, but here in Canada I've found the best place to get them are at thrift stores like Salvation Army or Value Village, and I've never been to a Goodwill but they probably have a section for that too and I know for sure they have Goodwills in the USA if you live there.

I'm In British columbia

You really don't need a turntable most people just dig files these days. It's just the older guys that never stopped with the vinyl so they think that's the only way to do it and if you're e-digging it's not real. It is a different workflow and if you think you'd be interested in it then go ahead and try it but it's not necessary.

One thing i love about using my turntable to sample is the ability to listen to the record and adjust the speed and pitch freely using the turntable knobs, it just seems to make the process quicker.

I think mp3s are fine till ur sample game is on point...like you know what your doing and you do it well...another reason vinyl is good that a lot of people don't talk about is that you just paid $5 to $30 on this piece of plastic and cardboard ur gonna listen to it and make the most out of that one record it's like a piece of gold

I think mp3s are fine till ur sample game is on point...like you know what your doing and you do it well...another reason vinyl is good that a lot of people don't talk about is that you just paid $5 to $30 on this piece of plastic and cardboard ur gonna listen to it and make the most out of that one record it's like a piece of gold

wow i never payed more than 2 dollars for a record lol. And the rarest ones are usually the cheapest haha

but really i dont think u should get a turntable just for quality. U should get it because cratediggin is inspiring as ****. So much more fun than just browsing youtube. And theres a certain feel to sampling from vinyl. And some of the rarest gemz u cant even find on the interwebz

Big time sampling producers have used MP3's in big records. No reason why you can't.

No reason why you shouldn't do both too.

There are certain great records you will NEVER even be in the same country in, which you can find on mp3.

You will also find records which have never been ripped to mp3. Records can give you an added dimension to the sound which you will never get on mp3 too.

Do both.

PS Can you even get 320 mp3's off youtube?

Last edited:
I cant answer if you should or shouldnt - do you, but I love my records and process of sampling them.
Like mentioned its a everlasting source of inspiration - you go to the recordstore and some covers strike you - you spin it (most stores ahve listening corners + there are portable turntables) and boom - you find that sample you wanna use, buy, bike home and get going.

Also I think the quality of vinyl is one of its strengths whereas mp3's can often sound flat and lifeless. It requires more of you to get that flat kick to bang like the saying go "its hard to make shit shine".

Some people are like "its expensive to buy records" and got a wall of J's - its all about priorities. I'll pay around 2-15 for a (15 if its really really good) and around 40-70 in a dig so thats not big money.
Also I feel like records have given me a lesson and trip through music history, its a great moment when you put the needle on that wax and that great song hits you, its the shit.

(im 26 and started with FL and mp3's and now MPC3000 and all analog with computer mix so I wouldnt say im a oldie)

PS. to answer your question about the TT, i would aim towards a good sounding second hand turntable rather than a plastic portable one because those arent qualitywise the same, if you wanna vinyl and benefit from the quality you want a decent TT.

Back