Speed up, slow up, or leave your samples how they are

wolf15

Do you guys Speed up, slow up, or leave your samples how they are, and how do you know when you need to do one of these things. I was listening to a Big Krit and Kanye beats and noticed how there samples dont seem to speed up or slow down to much from the original

If the sample section I want to loop is slower than 80 bpm then I usually speed it up by pitching or tuning. If the sample tempo is too fast then I'll pitch down or tune down. Chops on the other hand can be used at pretty much any tempo. I've heard super pitched up samples like Kanye's "Through The Wire" and I've also heard untouched samples such as Childish Gambino's "Do Ya Like" so it's really up to how you want your beat to sound. I don't think there are any rules or guidelines on how to use a sample...

I don't think there's a perfect formula for this... as stated above it really depends on the tempo of the sample i'm using, or the type of beat/idea I have in my head... sometimes you just gotta play around a bit and sometimes you just get lucky.

Check out the sample I used in my soundcloud link below and tell me what you think.

Peace,

J.

I can't remember the last time I sped something up. Most of my beats are in the 60-80bpm range so I'm usually slowing down.

I don't think there's a perfect formula for this... as stated above it really depends on the tempo of the sample i'm using, or the type of beat/idea I have in my head... sometimes you just gotta play around a bit and sometimes you just get lucky.

Check out the sample I used in my soundcloud link below and tell me what you think.

Peace,

J.
This beats dope

I never do one thing as standard. It completely depends on the source material I'm working with and the ideas I get that day. Sometimes I'm speeding up, sometimes reversing, sometimes chopping up into really small pieces. One general rule for me is the more I'm feeling the sample, the smaller pieces I'll chop it into. This gives me complete control over the placement and arrangement of the sample, and it's my favourite way of working with sampled material.

just adjust the sample to the bpm of beat u want to make... which is the first thing u should think of when makeing a beat..."what tempo is it gonna be"

haha man I usually speed them up a little and whenever I slow down I usually don't slow down that much. In logic (the software I am using) there is no way that I'm aware of too speed up a sample without changing the pitch tho so yea my songs are usually a little bit higher pitch than the ting I'm sampling. but I'm usually chopping pretty much :P

It just depends on whats easier for you or what kind of sound you want to have. I've kept samples the same and just added drums, i've also sped them up a lot, slowed them down a ton, etc. Lately, I've been reversing samples and then chopping them up. Just whatever you can put some drums over and get a good groove.

Do you guys Speed up, slow up, or leave your samples how they are, and how do you know when you need to do one of these things. I was listening to a Big Krit and Kanye beats and noticed how there samples dont seem to speed up or slow down to much from the original

1: Yes
2: Yes
3: Yes

I usually start dancing around the room to the loop, Stanky leg, Dougie, Funky worm. whatever until I get the tempo just right...

sometimes slowing it down or speeding it up drastically can add a new dimension that wasnt there at the original tempo...i tend to just **** around and stretch my sample in logic

Back