Sped up Vinyl Technique -> Sampler

O

osohormiguerro

can someone elaborate on this? i've done my searching/researching, but i'm still not quite confident if i have the concept correct. i have a 8 disc cd changer to sample from so i don't have the capability of a record player to speed up what i want to sample. if i already have the sample on my mpc at normal play speed, do i
1. speed up the sample using time stretch and save the sped up sample.
2. then re-timestretch the sped up sample back to a slower/original tempo?
3. could i also instead of re-timestretching, pitch down the sped up sample? what would be the difference between restretching slower and pitching down?

if this is possible with my setup, how many times do i speed up the sample? twice as fast (2x)?

is this method possible with my setup? or is the only way to achieve this result to actually have sped up vinyl before it goes into the MPC? after the sped up vinyl, do you pitch down or time-stretch slower the sample in the MPC? i'm doing this all so i can maybe get a little more lofi grit.

my bad if this is so many questions, i just some homies to shed some light

is this method possible with my setup? or is the only way to achieve this result to actually have sped up vinyl before it goes into the MPC? after the sped up vinyl, do you pitch down or time-stretch slower the sample in the MPC? i'm doing this all so i can maybe get a little more lofi grit.

So you're doing this for the grittiness only and don't want it to be high pitched?

Pitch up your sample on your mpc. IF you timestrech it after that, it will remain high pitched.

Originally samples were pitched up to make them shorter and save sample time on the sampler. They were usually pitched back down after recording to the machine.

You could pitch it up on your mpc, record it to somewhere, record it back to your mpc and pitch it down. If you got a tape deck, take your sample through it to get it more gritty if that is what you're after. If not, record it to your computer and back.

Last edited:
i have the stanton t60x turn table and it has a lever that i can use to speed up or slow down the record....i rarely use it. u can use the turntable's abilities to do that OR you can get your sample in your mpc and tune it up or down based on what sound you want. I tried using the timestretch in the mpc1000....it stinks....dont use it. sorry to say that if u want to timestretch use some SW on your computer then send it back to the mpc.

I just tune the sample up until my ears like it...and its at an acceptable tempo...my target for hip hop beats lies between 80 - 90 bpm...or 160 - 180 if thats your thing.

so for u i would say use the tune function (read the manual...its online)
i dont know what you can do for lo fi grit...i would prefer not to have any in my tracks....

ONE

early drum machines didnt have the memory time to record whole sections of track so the trick was to speed up the vinyl, sample it then pitch it down again. it's just a way to save memory....but the sound you get from that technique especially in a sp1200 is a crisp and rumbly sound which is pretty distinct. if you still want this follow one-derkid's post.

if you still are using your vinyl then it doesnt matter how fast you are spinning. just as fast as possible that is at a constant speed. 45 and + 10 basicly

there is no real need for it to be honest nowadays. most mpc's and sampling programs after 2000 (roughly) have massive memory time. 1.5 seconds a pad before is now 30 seconds a pad with 4 banks. it's

edit: man i made a massive essay last night then forgot about this post and as i sent it today i had a time out &^%*%$*&$...anyways hope this helps somehow

^I think he meant the old rocafella chipmunk effect that Kanye The Heatmakers and Just Blaze used to do. Just sample into your mpc and transpose the samples to taste

early drum machines didnt have the memory time to record whole sections of track so the trick was to speed up the vinyl, sample it then pitch it down again. it's just a way to save memory....but the sound you get from that technique especially in a sp1200 is a crisp and rumbly sound which is pretty distinct. if you still want this follow one-derkid's post.

if you still are using your vinyl then it doesnt matter how fast you are spinning. just as fast as possible that is at a constant speed. 45 and + 10 basicly

there is no real need for it to be honest nowadays. most mpc's and sampling programs after 2000 (roughly) have massive memory time. 1.5 seconds a pad before is now 30 seconds a pad with 4 banks. it's

edit: man i made a massive essay last night then forgot about this post and as i sent it today i had a time out &^%*%$*&$...anyways hope this helps somehow

i'm aware that this method was used to get more sample time out of old samplers with limited space with the perks of having a grainier, raw, grittier sound.
althought i have 32mb sample time, i think that this is a good method to know even if there are other methods of getting grainier drums. (if you can share, that'd be cool too.) i'd also like to know how to work with limited tools and mb space to learn from the roots up.

so if i already have the sample in my mpc, should i pitch it up, save the pitched-up sample, then pitch down the saved sample? would this give me a little bit of that crisp feeling you're talking about? im sure not as much as the sp1200, but would it make a difference?

what you're talkin bout won't change the sample at all.
to get the sound you want requires sampling at a lower bit rate.

i'm aware that this method was used to get more sample time out of old samplers with limited space with the perks of having a grainier, raw, grittier sound.
althought i have 32mb sample time, i think that this is a good method to know even if there are other methods of getting grainier drums.

MPC2000? Resample your drums to a lower bit rate.

if ur looking for grittiness or your lookin to add 'colour' too ur samples. then ur looking in the wrong places. words like 'warmth gritty grainy raw' have too do with the bit rate and saturation.

plugins mimic this type of thing pretty well. i could suggest some if thats what ur into.

Last edited:
can someone elaborate on this? i've done my searching/researching, but i'm still not quite confident if i have the concept correct. i have a 8 disc cd changer to sample from so i don't have the capability of a record player to speed up what i want to sample. if i already have the sample on my mpc at normal play speed, do i
1. speed up the sample using time stretch and save the sped up sample.
2. then re-timestretch the sped up sample back to a slower/original tempo?
3. could i also instead of re-timestretching, pitch down the sped up sample? what would be the difference between restretching slower and pitching down?

if this is possible with my setup, how many times do i speed up the sample? twice as fast (2x)?

my bad if this is so many questions, i just some homies to shed some light

Ayo...

For me, it varies between samples. But, normally for vinyl I record in at 78 rpm, then pitch down to liking. Non vinyl sources with no pitch/tune functions I record into the comp and process it there, then dump back into the mp. Either way, record in a pitched up sample, then tune down some semitones. I did that a lot on the 2000. It definitely gave it a thicker, grainier sound to my ears. Now on the XL, with 32mb, I just run samples through different samplers. If your sampling cd/mp3 and shit alot, I'd cop a CDJ so you can control pitch and record into the mp directly. Hope I was a lil help.

Peace

for sure, but with what i got currently, i still have the question.

if i already have the sample in my mpc, can i pitch it up, save the pitched-up sample, then pitch down the saved sample to give me a little bit of that crisp feeling you're talking about? im sure not as much as the sp1200, but would it make a difference?

Last edited by a moderator:
if i already have the sample in my mpc, can i pitch it up, save the pitched-up sample, then pitch down the saved sample to give me a little bit of that crisp feeling you're talking about? im sure not as much as the sp1200, but would it make a difference?

Have you tried resampling yet? That way you can get that 8/12bit feel and grittiness. If you don't know how to do this, take a look at your manual.

Its hard to get 8/12 bit grit out of a 16 bit sampler even with resampling. Honestly even those bit rates aren't whats making it gritty. bit rates are more about headroom aka volume and less about grittiness. If you want to get something gritty play with the sample rate.

so i'm considering using the resample feature, but like above stated, i hear that it doesn't quite resample or sound like a vintage sampler which makes sense. i was wondering if any of you all record on to tape deck, then resample into a resampler or know much about it

---------- Post added 03-14-2010 at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was 03-13-2010 at 02:23 PM ----------

i tried the resampler technique in the mpc2000xl. i have three files that i experimented with..
1. the original break
LILFEATKIT.WAV - 1.06MB
2. the break, resampled at 12bit 26.04kz on "low" (tried using the speeds of a sp1200)
LILFEA_2.WAV - 0.63MB
3. the break, pitched up in the mpc +15, resampled at 12bit 26.04khz on "low", then pitched down in the mpc -15
LILFEA_3.WAV - 0.63MB

the resampled sounds sound more distant, lower in pitch and volume. they also have this annoying ring on the kicks. any help?

Back