Soul Sample Packs needing clearance?

KlayBlaq

My G's, good day to you all. Have a dilemma that I'm hoping someone here can assist with.

We have a 7 song EP that was recently completed. One of the songs contains a sample from a sample pack that I purchased from Big Citi Loops. My questions are as follows:

1. How familiar are you all with this particular website?

2. Do I have to clear the sample with the artist (Who, by the way, I have NO clue who it is even after doing my due diligence searching for the originator)

The site states that it has "royalty free" instruments and sounds, but does this apply to the samples as well?

At first, I was under the impression that these samples were created by recent singers and classically trained musicians, chopped up and sold to the websites for the sole purpose of giving producers that classic feel without actually having to clear samples (being that my purchase of the pack gave me rights to do as I please), but after doing some research, I'm now thinking that these samples are actually from old records.

I emailed their contact and received a response stating that I am responsible for clearing the samples, however, there is no disclaimer on the site stating that this has to be done, which I think they need to inform the customers of this if it is a fact. Before we get into the video shoots (which I wanted to do for this song), I'm trying to get more information from professionals who may have used packs similar to this and if they had any problems (don't want the video getting pulled from youtube because it contains uncleared sounds, don't want to get sued, and don't want to spend $1000 on a shoot if can't use the song safely). Any information is greatly appreciated. One.

I am no professional but there are a few factors when it comes to samples, one being the duration of the sample. Is it long enough to "shazam" it? If it is that might help you find the origins of the sample if you do believe it comes from old records. as far as legal trouble, if it is discovered on youtube, more than likely the video will get pulled or muted, and that is the worst case scenario. Just ask yourself do you think an artist or record label will really try to pursue you in court if there is really no money to be made. Im not condoning using samples without clearance, but honestly unless theres a ton of money being made off that sample your pretty much under the radar

I am no professional but there are a few factors when it comes to samples, one being the duration of the sample. Is it long enough to "shazam" it? If it is that might help you find the origins of the sample if you do believe it comes from old records. as far as legal trouble, if it is discovered on youtube, more than likely the video will get pulled or muted, and that is the worst case scenario. Just ask yourself do you think an artist or record label will really try to pursue you in court if there is really no money to be made. Im not condoning using samples without clearance, but honestly unless theres a ton of money being made off that sample your pretty much under the radar

Thanks for the prompt response. I'm unaware of what "shazam" is but I'll do my googles right quick and figure it out. I'm figuring its a plug and play site where you can put in MP3s and it traces it? Might be difficult to do with this sample because there aren't any actual lyrics in it, its pretty much just "oohs" and "aahs". Preciate ya.

Thanks for the prompt response. I'm unaware of what "shazam" is but I'll do my googles right quick and figure it out. I'm figuring its a plug and play site where you can put in MP3s and it traces it? Might be difficult to do with this sample because there aren't any actual lyrics in it, its pretty much just "oohs" and "aahs". Preciate ya.

No problem. Relatively speaking, if the sample is just a bunch of oohs and aahs, i seriously doubt you will have any problems

If there's a sample pack you bought, they should include notes discussing royalties or at what extend you're allowed to use it in any commercial distribution. Those samples are usually meant to be cleared because they were created for that purpose.

Back