So my cousin asked me for some drums....

5ynoT

Waddup doe yall, Im new to this site, but I've always heard about it, thought I'd sign up and see what it had to offer.

BUT, a while ago, my cousin who also makes beats asked me for a zip of some drums from my library. At first I was cool, because its fam, but the more I sat on it, the more I thought about how painstakingly meticulous it was to build it. And to just GIVE it to someone just felt wrong in some kinda way. What are yall thoughts on this? Sharing drums or even samples with other producers?

Dont get me wrong I've shared a few of my gems with people I know that make beats...especially when my hardware is off somewhere and Im not making beats. ...but still a little part of me dies inside.

it's your cousin and it's just drums, i don't see why not. unless you have very unique drums and he'll steal your sound, i doubt that's the case though. if you have signature sounds take them out the kit though.

Last edited:
Theres more than a quadrillion of drums on the net...more drums are being layered, recorded and made unique every day. If your that conscious of what you gained just write something like free drums....drums .wav or something along those lines into google and give him those.

I know there are drums kits people download online....and I recommended that initially. But I've never downloaded any of them and all of my drums are ripped from the records...so, he'll here a track, ask me how'd I get my drums like that and whatnaut then I'll tell em and then he'll ask for em. I think of it like, what if Diamond D GAVE Premo his drums, instead of showing him how to chop em....or what if Dilla GAVE Black Milk his drums? That kinda thing.

I could see why you feel that way but if its really that important to you, why not just give him some of the lesser quality stuff?

then why don you teach him how to rip the drums from records so he can just make his own. my 2 cents.

Alright, let me clear this up/

I gave em a USB with some drums on it eventually....I just thought twice about it...my purpose for the thread was to get opinions on sharing things like your personal drums and samples with other people...

opinions on sharing things like your personal drums and samples with other people...

I wouldn't.

A good amount of drum breaks are no secret; you can Google "drum breaks" and return so much information that you'll never have to worry about where to look for drums again. And if you find something that is rare and can't be found on a Google search, you definitely wouldn't want to share that, at least until you have them to yourself for awhile.

I have some sampled drums on zip disks, and it took some damn time just to get them on there. I still don't have them all chopped, let alone added any eq/effects to get them right, layered them, or put them into any definite programs or arranged sequences. Some are divided into programs and chopped but not all, and I don't have that many to begin with.

So, off what I know from sampling drums, and the amount of work that can go into, establishing a unique individual library of sampled drums would take someone quite a bit of time and effort. So much so that personally, I don't even try to make specific kits. I just sample the breaks, sometimes chop them, and then pick and chose certain drums sounds every beat, as oppose to building kits and picking a kit to go with a certain sample.

So, if I did have an established library, something similar to what you see in those Damu the Fudgemunk's videos with like 300 floppy disks laying around, ABSOLUTELY NO WAY would I give up those goods.

Last edited:
I'm the same way when it comes to choosing drums. I guess it comes from my background (church drummer). I would always pick how I'm gonna approach the drums according to the song and I'm still the same way. I really don't believe in hoarding drums or sounds. I mean they are samples unless you have a drum set or live percussion. Would your cuz bless you if you wanted some of his stuff? Being stingy and secretive could stop you and cuz getiin that one hit every producer needs. Just saying...

Considering that you're just one producer with no established track record to speak of, and that there is a large quantity of talented sound designers out there (with quite a few offering high quality drum kits for extremely reasonable prices), the odds are that your cousin is the one getting a bum deal out of this.

If you're lucky enough for your cousin to make something great with these drums, you *might* gain some notoriety... If people care enough about the drum sounds. Regular non-producer listeners generally don't like songs just because the drums sound cool.

Your drum sounds might be awesome, but please take the situation into perspective. To you, these drums are special, but to the world, it just another generic hip-hop drumkit. Stay humble. You should be honored that your cousin even wants your drums.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Considering that you're just one producer with no established track record to speak of, and that there is a large quantity of talented sound designers out there (with quite a few offering high quality drum kits for extremely reasonable prices), the odds are that your cousin is the one getting a bum deal out of this.

If you're lucky enough for your cousin to make something great with these drums, you *might* gain some notoriety... If people care enough about the drum sounds. Regular non-producer listeners generally don't like songs just because the drums sound cool.

Your drum sounds might be awesome, but please take the situation into perspective. To you, these drums are special, but to the world, it just another generic hip-hop drumkit. Stay humble. You should be honored that your cousin even wants your drums.

-Ki
Salem Beats

....while I may not have an " established track record," my shit is my shit. Not once did I say, I dont want him to have "my sound" or anything of that nature. I have never cared, for as long as I've been making beats, about what the world thinks of what I do or have. So why would I care what my drums mean to the world. The sentiment that I *might* notariety from my cousin using drums I gave him or that he's getting a bum deal out of it was just utter disrepect, but I'll take that with a grain of salt and in stride. As humble as I am, is as humble I will remain, for you to speak on my modesty clearly tells me how "humble" you are Ki. Ergo, I'll say this, thanks for replying and much love to you.

Waddup doe yall, Im new to this site, but I've always heard about it, thought I'd sign up and see what it had to offer.

BUT, a while ago, my cousin who also makes beats asked me for a zip of some drums from my library. At first I was cool, because its fam, but the more I sat on it, the more I thought about how painstakingly meticulous it was to build it. And to just GIVE it to someone just felt wrong in some kinda way. What are yall thoughts on this? Sharing drums or even samples with other producers?

Dont get me wrong I've shared a few of my gems with people I know that make beats...especially when my hardware is off somewhere and Im not making beats. ...but still a little part of me dies inside.

Imagine how DAW and plugin developers must feel.

They put in long hours for months (or years, especially in the case of DAWs) meticulously writing code, and people steal the software from them.

-Ki
Salem Beats

You are lucky to have a cousin with this same interest and should be honored that he asked for the drums in the first place, but assembling an kit like this is an incredible amount of work, especially considering this won't really benefit you. Unless you already have a kit made up for yourself that you work off of you can just send him, you should just "teach the man to fish". Show him how you find/grab/chop/filter the drum sounds in the first place so he can learn to do it himself. This might end up being a similar amount of work, but it will be more interesting/rewarding for both of you.

I'm protective over my drums personally. I have some sounds that I will give out without thinking about it. But a lot of the time I will tell someone there are 10 zillion drums online stop bugging me for mine.

I think it's ok. Chances are he'll wind up sampling some of the same drums as you anyway. I mean, how many cats have have sampled "Another One Bites the Dust" drums???

Give and you shall receive, Giving will ensure you always have an abundance of resources. Don't stress it. Good luck with your music production career!

Back