Simple is better

If you ask me, no, simple is definitely not better. I'm simply fed up with hearing the same shit over and over again. I don't know if you intend "simpler" to refer to the mixing style or the basic drum beat involved, but regardless, I disagree with both. You need to find the balance in both that matches the thematic nature of your track. You need to make it come alive, and that's not a simple thing. Of course, that's just my opinion, that's all.

There is nothing wrong with simple.. but nothing special about it neither. Just go with the flow and do your thing. Sometimes, people get caught up on trying to make something better when in reality, it was better off how it started - simple. Other times, people leave it at that and it comes to sound like Soulja Boy. Want simple? Ask him to produce a track for you. There you go.

TELL u thetruth theres very litle REAL producen cats here most sample simple loop but i compose my beets an get tons of money 4 it take my advicde n start maken ur own
BEATS n perfect ur craft like real A&R like myseLf - peace

@truth, lets hear these so called "REAL" beats you keep talking about. Every single post you do talks about the same thing. Put up or shut up.....

I think the Fugees were prime examples of people who took basic ass beats and ripped them......ex: Ready or not

i think beats should not be simple nor complex but in between.

too simple is not good.
too complex is not good either.

so add instruments that are simple.
and instruments that are complex.

that's what i do.

Last edited:
All of you are wrong....Every song is different. A well polished producer knows when and when not to make something simple or intricate.

You guys are holding yourself back by creating these crazy rules....

I used to be the same way until i realized every song requires different things. Theres no rules...

All of you are wrong....Every song is different. A well polished producer knows when and when not to make something simple or intricate.

You guys are holding yourself back by creating these crazy rules....

I used to be the same way until i realized every song requires different things. Theres no rules...

best post in the thread yet

Well I wasn't wrong because I said this...

It's all about the producer putting the ego aside and doing what's best for the song. You may want to prove you're the shit and make intricate patterns with 15 instruments going off at the same time, but sometimes a song doesn't need all of that. Same with a guitar player for instance. Sure you can play 20 note per second solo's and it's impressive, but is it the best thing for the song? BB King could play a solo with 4 notes that could bury any of that shit with feel alone. It's about serving the song.

:)

Well it all depends

Ya well everyone is definetly going to have diffrent opinions on this topic, but I really feel like you need a mixture of both. Some songs just wouldnt sound right if it have to many break downs and change ups. and other songs would sound better if they added a little more to it. It also depends on what kind of song it is. Is it a Hip Hop joint, Club, South Club, Rap, PoP, see it all depends but at the end of the day a hit is a hit!!! and thats what we are all aiming for. Do what works for you and your style.

Yo I remember Puffy using the same sample than the one on the ''Day One'' beat. It was a song called ''Youngn's'' or some like this featuring Biggie and Jay-Z. That was my ish back then !!!!

I gotta use this sample, just for fun!! You can put almost anything on it and it will still sounds dope!

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 AM ----------

Just thought about this,

it depends nowadays, like, if you put Young Jeezy (for example) on a simple beat, this song gonna sounds weird because of his flow and his lyrics (which is not as worked as some of these 90s rapper). But if you put Young Jeezy on something with a lot of sounds, brass, violin, it kind of work nice with his flow. Why!? Because the beat overshadow the emcee, mostly like everything post-2005. I cant remember a huge radio hit that was successful because of the content of the song (lyrics + flow) and not because of the beat (vibe).

Back