Should we always chop a sample?

me personally, don't like loops. i know the best loop, ie. primo, but i just don't feel it. all you are doing is stealing someone else's work. in my opinion! whereas when you chop, its yours. you make it your own. when the melody you come up with is unrecognizable to the original loop or song. I feel that is a great feat. But then again, alot of people loop. i jsut can't seem to get my head around it...

I'm a looper, have a always been a looper. I think the key to looping and getting away with it is creative digging. Its an amazing feeling when you layer three loops off different records over the top of each other and it works.

It all depends on the sample really, some sound better chopped, others not. BtW primo does chop all the time, listen to Say Goodnight by Reks

I second what ETbeats says 100%. I'd only like to add tho, that sometimes the samle is just too damn hot as it is, and in those cases it would be a shame to chop. In my opinion, that's the one case where looping is accepted.
There is no straight lines to follow tho.. Most of this is pure logic, and just following the ways of the music.

I.e. If you're sampling, mostly that involves chopping and "flipping" the sample in your own way OR if you dont chop, the sample will sound the same as on the record, and you should atleast be aware of that.

Peace..

Last edited:
If it sounds better as uh loop, LOOP IT. Me personally I'd chop it up and play out the loop if I wanted to cause at the same time I could make variations. Choppin just gives you more control over the sample. You should try loopin it and choppin it..
This is the way to go

Back