Should i start sampling vinyl?

Z_DEMING

i usually just sample .mp3/.m4a... Should i invest in vinyl? i got like 20 records... but no record player... i do prefer the speed of my current process/work flow

Its not necessary if you have a good workflow and are getting the end product you want. Its really up to you. there is no set rule.

i usually just sample .mp3/.m4a... Should i invest in vinyl? i got like 20 records... but no record player... i do prefer the speed of my current process/work flow

You don't sound very eager to do it, so probably not then ;)
Never do anything because you feel like you have to.

If you have the resources (money for equipment, time to buy and listen to records) then it's worth it. It's something I've always loved to do, but it is more demanding as well... Is your music mainly sample-based or does it just have the occasional little snippet? That might be something to consider

E-sampling is the way to go, why hold cases of samples when they is so much good stuff online? I guess the ideal situation is to have both so when you're in the purist mindset you can rip from vinyl.

I sample from both vinyl and digital stuff, for me it's easier to discover new sounds and artists digging in them crates than sitting in youtube clicking links. Thats the only difference to me, honestly, because when I sample from digital sources I add that vinyl dirty as well lol.

Vinyl sounds better, but if you can get .FLAC format or a high quality bitrate MP3 then it's just as fine. However nostalgic and awesome it is to sample from vinyls, the workflow is just faster in a digital setting for me personally.

maybe start with audio clips from youtube or royalty free websites and see what you can do with cutting samples and such. then if you find enjoyment in it start getting some equipment to rip from vinyl into your DAW
:)

Back