ShogunZ Essentials Vol 1: Kicks

The SoulSamurai

Ever download a drumkit and realize that there are more sounds you don't want than functional ones (probably every time)? I've always run into this problem myself with kits and find my workflow is extremely hampered by wading thru tons of garbage sounds to get to the gems. So I started a project the other day to organize all of the best drums of all the kits that I currently have (updates potentially later) and am tossing the useless sounds.

The result are custom drumkits that I feel are the "essential" sounds from most of the popular kits. I'm sharing them with you guys because...well because I hear too many weak ass drums. And I feel like if quality sounds are readily available to more producers we can eliminate weak ass drums forever!

mediafirecom/?jiiryfyztyl Kicks
mediafirecom/?ow4x4ymmmet Kicks II

I have narrowed down my kick library to a measly 61. It would be even less if not for the fact that I put certain kicks in the kit to give room for a little more variety.

Feedback always appreciated definitely let me know what you guys think.

Last edited:
Yessir. Snares are definitely next. I'm debating on what else to do besides hi hats. I think I have enough breaks for a folder if there's interest.

Def Snares. Maybe do a hats/open hats combo. I would dig a Tambourine/Hand Percussion kit, with an emphasis on tambourines.

Thats me though.

Ok so after digging through my folders I have decided to pretty much go all out (and by that I mean sharing with producers, I was going to organize everything myself anyway) and do everything. This will include:

-Snares/Claps
-hi hats cymbals rides shakers (combo)
- Bass soundfonts (I know a LOT of you will appreciate that)
- breaks

Whether or not I'd bother with random perc and FX is dependent on my mood after I'm finished cleaning up my folders otherwise. Be on the lookout and keep the hot shit coming!

Nope not yet, Bayonetta has been distracting me lol.

In my experience, crazy nice snares, at least as is, are really rare. A good snare in a song has been EQ'd and layered something vicious.

Nope not yet, Bayonetta has been distracting me lol.

In my experience, crazy nice snares, at least as is, are really rare. A good snare in a song has been EQ'd and layered something vicious.

So true. It took me a while to realize that there is no magic kit that will change my production. If you want nice drum sounds you are going to have to work at it each individual time. What SoulSamurai is doing just makes that process easier.

damn man thanks, there's some really nice kicks in here.

edit: you're gonna hook up some bass soundfonts too?? haha it feels like christmas! i have the hardest time finding good bass sounds.

"flip this sylvers" sample + one of your kicks = divshare*com/download/11131367-7c8

Last edited:
Wow, I'll definitely have to check this out later. You are too kind for compiling drum hits together, especially filtering all the trash and keeping all the good stuff then sharing it. I'll definitely download this later and tell you what I think.

thanks man

No problem people. Like I said, I want to annihilate weak ass drums, so I'm doing my part. Been a bit busy but the snares are almost done. It's amazing as I look, that I have about 1000+ of each sound and I narrowed my kicks down to 61 and my snares will be around the same number. Seems like a limited amount but when they are ALL functional that helps the workflow quite a bit.

Glad people appreciate it.

Ever download a drumkit and realize that there are more sounds you don't want than functional ones (probably every time)? I've always run into this problem myself with kits and find my workflow is extremely hampered by wading thru tons of garbage sounds to get to the gems. So I started a project the other day to organize all of the best drums of all the kits that I currently have (updates potentially later) and am tossing the useless sounds.

The result are custom drumkits that I feel are the "essential" sounds from most of the popular kits. I'm sharing them with you guys because...well because I hear too many weak ass drums. And I feel like if quality sounds are readily available to more producers we can eliminate weak ass drums forever!

I have narrowed down my kick library to a measly 61. It would be even less if not for the fact that I put certain kicks in the kit to give room for a little more variety.

Wow. I'm so grateful, for you to share your library of kicks like that, and all of them are jewels, if this is any example of your collection you must have a nice library of snares, this is good stuff I'm glad you filtered out the weak drums and decided to share the nice ones. Just wanted to say thanks and I'm going to put these hits to good use.

Dang! I can't seem to figureout how to download these? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Juan"Thundertrax"Luxo

Back