separating instruments/sounds in a sample...?

Danimal

What is the best program to separate or bring certain sounds in a sample to the front. Or singling out certain sounds or instruments? I know you can adjust levels and to an extent get the single sound you want out but i also know there is a way to almost completely single out the specific sound you want. (ex: Slum Village- Do You //Sample is: Zapp & Roger- More Bounce for the Ounce)
Also, this may be completely wrong, but would an old school equalizer be able to do this to some effect? I have an opportunity to get one, and was wondering if I run my mixer through it will I be able to adjust the bass, treble and what not even further than I normally would with just the mixer? but I am assuming that would be a good method to single out certain sounds/instruments on a record even better.
Thanks in advance, and hopefully my post made sense lol PEACE!

I don't mean completely remove all excess sounds, I mean is there a program, piece of equipment or technique to turn down all the sounds you dont want and somehow turn up or single out the one you do? Check the Slum Village track i cited and the sample, Dilla did this to an extent i have yet to figure out or achieve in my mixing and sampling.. you can faintly hear the drums and the original bassline but they are so low once he layers it with his bassline and drums you can't even hear the original and the only sound you hear. that he wanted, is that UFO type keyboard sound.

There is no program that will turn down the other instruments. You can EQ and filter to reduce some frequencies. Also what you maybe be hearing is from the sample itself. With a lot of old samples from wax instruments are panned harder and if you look at them in an audio editor the left channel and right are very different. In some samples the horns my be panned hard right, so if you sample the left channel the horns will be very faint.

oh ight.. I was also asking because i read in an interview someone had explaining their favorite Dilla flips when mentioning this Slum Village song they alluded to the fact that around the time this beat was made Dilla received a bunch of new software or something, and the interviewee was saying he was bugging out how Dilla was able to alter the sample that way and manage to isolate the one sound he wanted.

Back