Say you're at a beat battle competiton...

massivewolf

And you hear two entries using the same sample.

Entry 1 - has great composition, is very creative, but isn't mixed well.
Entry 2 - has wayward composition/the parts don't flow well, boring, but it's mixed really well.

Which would you choose?

(and apologies if this doesn't belong here, just curious haha).

Entry one. Everytime.
But what if in entry #1 the chops had that annoying hiss/distortion in them and it was hard to get past that?

For example, the contestant didn't add a vinyl/crackle sound to make it all seem old and distorted, there's just one repeating part with it and everything else is relatively clean, save for a somewhat muddy kick lol.

I feel like this may be the unpopular answer here but my experiences participating in a beat battle say that people in general would pick entry 2. The reason is that people seem to equate great mixing with professional production, so most people would just say that the second one sounds more professional and go with that.

Also, another thing that (annoyingly enough) helps entry 2 is the fact that most producers (who are good at mixing) going into a beat battle turn their loudness way up to the point where people just think the beat is straight fire because the kick KNOCKS. Mixing is the ultimate hack to winning beat battles and that's real talks.

I'd probably go with entry 2, I might not like it but dammit I can actually hear whats goin on in the beat. serious lol

Back