Saving Cuts and Edits From a Sample.....????

Chew_Bear

Just sampled a scene/part from a movie and it has about 8 samples in total. Mostly FX, background noises and vocals.

I am cutting them up as we speak into individual one-shots.

1. Is it better to cut each sample and than bounce/export each one out as its own individual one-shot....???

...OR...

2. Is it better to keep the original sample "in tact" as 1 large sample, and than just cut whatever I need for my current project....on an 'as-needed' basis....???

That way, it doesn't require the extra work of bouncing/exporting each individual sample as a one-shot. Therefore...all you need to do is remember or preview what's in the sample, when the need rises again in a future use or when searching back/referencing for it.

1st option would be best...as that would allow me to start archiving/adding each individual sample one-shot into my sample library right away for easier organization/referencing and than never have to deal with having to cut/chop/edit the sample 'ever' again in the future...right...???

What's everyone's workflow/perspective...???

Last edited:
Say...I make a folder for just this 1 sample.....

If I do go with option number 1....

1. Is it 'good practice' (archiving/safe keeps) to keep the original sample...."just in case"...even though I already cut/edit out each individual one shot that I needed from the sample....???

Therefore...it would look like this...

Folder = Movie Sample 1
1. Original source file
2. One Shot sample 1
3. One Shot sample 2
4. One shot sample 3

etc., etc., etc. for all one shots...???

I was originally going to just delete the source file as I figured I already have what I needed from the sample...BUT...my better judgement got the best of me and I figured it might be better to keep the source file, just in case.

There's 3 options I currently know of, saving them inside the sampler being used or foldering.
Used to just leave regions in slicex or wavepad projects and leave em as is in project till I started havin missin file issues and stuck to just folderin.

Although exporting as a wavpack keeps all regions which works in every sampler as well which is odd but hey I ain't complainin one bit.
I think rex files keep regions too I think but in general foldering or wavpak filing.

Sorry guys but I use Ableton and not FL or REASON.

Don't know about wav packs or REX files.

All I know....is that for us Ableton users....

We can do what's called "Collect all and save"....which essentially....saves 'any' samples inside the current project and puts it into a separate "samples" folder within the project.

This is what I am doing now. But was just curious and wanted to know how other producers saved their samples when cutting and chopping.

Hey, you can also save any of your edits or alterations inside your desired folder in Ableton. (Whether you have an isolated folder for all of your own personal sounds/grooves/MIDI, etc. is up to you) You can add them to any place in the library though.

All you need to do with your samples and/or edits is click the icon that looks like a disc in the device that you are using in Ableton. You will be directed to a save directory from there. There will be times when you want to change where the file is saved for ease of access or organization purposes.

As you mentioned before about saving all of the edits/chops to a folder named after the source file, that's exactly what I do and it is easy to reference it in the future if need be.

*It also helps to have some sort of "header" before your own personal files to distinguish them from all of the other sounds and libraries in your collection. I use my initials and that works just fine for me. Easily and quickly identified amongst hundreds of others.

Last edited:
Back