sampling vs composing

JAMESRRTT

i know when you clicked on this you were probably thinking omg here's another guy asking the same question that gets asked over and over again which ones better but actually i want to ask do you think you can get the recognition you want just sampling tbh i dont think so if you label yourself a sample based producer people are just gonna look at you like all he is is another producer who samples but meanwhile if all you make is trap beats you'll get recognized faster than a sample based producer most people on this forum think the boom bap sound is played out i even heard somebody say its for old heads i myself started out sample based even though people liked my beats i said to myself i wanted more recognition so thats how i started composing what are you guy's thoughts on this

I honestly don't think the "boom-bap" sound will EVER play out. And sampling is still used in a lot of production even now. Hell, people sample recent songs all the time, albeit only vocal samples.

I honestly don't think the "boom-bap" sound will EVER play out. And sampling is still used in a lot of production even now. Hell, people sample recent songs all the time, albeit only vocal samples.

i dont think it will ever pay out either i was just saying do you think you could get the recognition you want just sampling

i dont think it will ever pay out either i was just saying do you think you could get the recognition you want just sampling

No, not today, & that's something I realized a little over a year ago. My favorite producer is R'sonist (of the Heatmakerz) who are obviously sample-based and they're the reason why I started. None of them know how to play any instruments, so I took that into consideration early on & started learning how to play the piano and music theory, etc. Even when you listen to Kanye's work (College Dropout, Late Registration, & Graduation) you can see when he samples he still adds some type of composition on top of it. I feel like today in 2011 (soon to be 2012) you can't just sample & throw drums on top of it. The Heatmakerz are the only ppl I know that CAN do it which still amazes me.

I could go on & on talkin bout this lol.. I myself think "Trap" beats are played out atm. EVERYONE is trying to sound like Sizzle/Lex. When the new trend comes they're gonna switchup. Everyone got their own opinions, just make music you like.

Last edited:
No, not today, & that's something I realized a little over a year ago. My favorite producer is R'sonist (of the Heatmakerz) who are obviously sample-based and they're the reason why I started. None of them know how to play any instruments, so I took that into consideration early on & started learning how to play the piano and music theory, etc. Even when you listen to Kanye's work (College Dropout, Late Registration, & Graduation) you can see when he samples he still adds some type of composition on top of it. I feel like today in 2011 (soon to be 2012) you can't just sample & throw drums on top of it. The Heatmakerz are the only ppl I know that CAN do it which still amazes me.

I could go on & on talkin bout this lol.. I myself think "Trap" beats are played out atm. EVERYONE is trying to sound like Sizzle/Lex. When the new trend comes they're gonna switchup. Everyone got their own opinions, just make music you like.

i love the heatmakerz , but yeh i kinda agree and disagree some samples are meant to just have drums thrown on top of it with nothing added then again some are meant to have something added to it

And 1/3 of Drakes album is sampled. 90% of WTT was sampled. half of games album was sampled. Sampling isnt going anywhere. Its really the foundation of hip hop. Keyboard tracks are just hot right now. Also depending on the label they may not care if you sample. The majors are a sinking ship go indie find your own artists and get on with what will be the main thing in 10 years. Move with the future

And 1/3 of Drakes album is sampled. 90% of WTT was sampled. half of games album was sampled. Sampling isnt going anywhere. Its really the foundation of hip hop. Keyboard tracks are just hot right now. Also depending on the label they may not care if you sample. The majors are a sinking ship go indie find your own artists and get on with what will be the main thing in 10 years. Move with the future

What's WTT?

Watch The Throne my man - New Day, Murder to Exellence - classics song, beautiful beats and nice lyrics.

Most of Kanye West's material is sampled. Most of the Neptunes material is replayed samples. Polow samples a lot. Everyone samples its just those aren't the songs on the radio. Stop watching the radio and start watching the independent industry. That's where the future is.

yeah like x had mentioed its allbout going indy ya digg everybody is watered down an sugarcoated of the fasade of radio hits i say it doesnt really matter look at preemo he never really makes a composed beat there basically all sampled an 9th wonder he jus samples still ,, but on thee other hand justblaze he is more opened to both... iguess it really comes down to recognition u want full 100% for the beat or do want 75% like supreme from wu had mentioned either or at thee end of the day music is suppose to be good ,, composing is jus a different medium like chalk, watercolors , arcylic ,carcoal , high quality prismas ,music is a blank canvas sampling is jus like painten ,, i could go plain and an jus flip the sample with no fxs, or runn it threw my s900 fo gritt or run it threw my eps classic theyll both give me diff sounds but its the whole point' how u as an artist "how are you going to paint that picture"...with what tools ..peace

I agree with Blood, plus the best producers IMO can do both, and often compose with samples... Take two of my favorites El-P and Dilla, both can kill it with samples in creative ways but both can kill it without. In the case of Dilla, dude played the piano, guitar, bass, and a gang of other instruments.. and you can get that boom bap sound without sampling as well... just my 2 cent

I agree with Blood, plus the best producers IMO can do both, and often compose with samples... Take two of my favorites El-P and Dilla, both can kill it with samples in creative ways but both can kill it without. In the case of Dilla, dude played the piano, guitar, bass, and a gang of other instruments.. and you can get that boom bap sound without sampling as well... just my 2 cent

Madlib is also 50% sampling and looping and 50% composing.It's absolutely possible to do both and myself,I'm trying to compose more,sample what I do and chop it up,the possibilities are endless.As far as boom bap being dead,I disagree,the problem is with all the Primo clones,but like someone said,it's the same for trap(which I really enjoy) and most musical genres:)

El-P and Dilla are probably my favorite producers as well. El-P does that apocalyptic vibe really well!

Anyway...I can sample or compose but have had a hard time doing both. I mean I can play samples and create my own melodies but I can't really create good synth sounds that blend well with my samples. Using just a pure sine for the bass seems to always work but that is about as far as combining the two as I've gotten so far.

I've read some El-P interviews where he says he likes to double a MIDI part, keeping one dry and the other affected, just experimenting with different ways of panning them. I suppose this same thing could be applied when working with samples.

Last edited:
composing takes way more skill. sampling is kind of like having a good ear. and taking the best musicians and making your own band with them in the order you want them to

Most of Kanye West's material is sampled. Most of the Neptunes material is replayed samples. Polow samples a lot. Everyone samples its just those aren't the songs on the radio. Stop watching the radio and start watching the independent industry. That's where the future is.

the thing is kanye and just blaze have been having there samples replayed to give the a "bigger" sound. I think the only way for sampling to work know is to go for that bigger cleaner sound as apposed to the grittier sound of the 90s.

I started out composing and went to sampling and loved it , but my favourite thing to do is to combine one with the other .Another thing i love is how DJ Khalil does it , he gets all his musicians in the studio and they start replaying various samples from diffrent songs , and then at the end of the day Khalil gets down to choppin and does his thing , which he does it incredibly

composing takes way more skill. sampling is kind of like having a good ear. and taking the best musicians and making your own band with them in the order you want them to
Not really. It depends on how you do it. Its all about ear and programming skills. Some people are just horrid at playing keys but can make dope beats because they have a good ear and a lot of ideas. I actually think that taking the limitations that come with a sample and doing something else with it is a lot harder than just stepping onto some keys and making something from scratch.
the thing is kanye and just blaze have been having there samples replayed to give the a "bigger" sound. I think the only way for sampling to work know is to go for that bigger cleaner sound as apposed to the grittier sound of the 90s.
They do that now. For years neither of them did and still got a great sound. The reason why most people get the samples replayed is because of its a lot cheaper to replay a sample than it is to actually sample it for clearances.

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

Kind of the further my point that you can have a super clean good sounding record that just works in 2012

check out everything Statik Selektah has been up to also. Dude seriously should be producer of the year 2011. He is busting his ass and making heat.

Which is what makes their songs so much colder than the simple drum laced sound of yesterday.

Back