sampling vs composing

I went to a producer conference in nyc and they had the runners, rockwilder, illmind etc there and they basically said... Like sampling is cool like many many hits have come out of sampling llotta dipset classics from back in the day has been made through sampling... Lotta jayz z shyt 'hard knock life' etc... But with sampling comes a lot of fee's like you gone have to pay the person from the person you sampled and they can/will take "everything" personally i don't really sample unless i know the track is gonna be a hit most of my shyt is composed all by me... I get a greater feeling in myself but just adding drums to a sample makes me feel good too... But i get more self glorification from composing

All methods have their place, but I have these points to offer

SAMPLERS

this group can play with the with familiarity but can maintain originality. They at times put a drum loop with some vocals that only when its done and you hear it you realise the genius behind it. They also have the power of combining certain tastes..... for instance x audience will listen for the b line while other are listening for the vocals. And there's so much talent involved, especially with manipulation software and effects. But this group needs knowledge. Say you knew only 3 different artists instead of knowing 3 different artist plus what gran, mom/dad, sister/brother or uncle know. It is the difference between a few notes and an encyclopaedia.

SAMPLING COMPOSERS

They have the same as the above but can tailor make originality mixed with the tried and tested. There is a drawback for me when doing this, at times what I pre hear in my head takes ages to perfect. I have had the odd composition work well with samples and when it does it does but so many times I've scrapped the vision..... guess I need more practice. There's also a great buzz in converting genre and the chance to hit on something special, for instance taking hip hop samples to make dub step but a sampler can do anything it's just knowing where to get it if you compose you do it there and then ... you never know what it will sound like but your in control of changing it to suit ....... most my ok turn outs were just mistakes but god bless mistakes :)

COMPOSER ONLY

This group you would have to give it t,o as you can't sample unless some one composed it.... But they got problems.... 1) do you make something that sound like x style and risk being labelled as wannabe "oh he just sounds like x", with original inspiration hard to find you could find yourself down that route. 2) put a spin on original style? it could work well and in the past has seen a genre create a sub genre or totally new style. 3) Be totally original (wow) ... lets look into the 40's when they came up with the Charleston but then the 50's went soft then mad rock and roll, many new styles were created, then the Beatles and stones while 70's gave birth to disco.... With that in mind originality does have it's day, but how long does it take to launch it in this day and age......... and get others reading from the same page? I think you need to be driven to get out there or know the right people to get known

no method is wrong its the scope and vision that creates it and the odd mistake take this as example Donna Summer - I Feel Love - YouTube the producer openly admits he knocked a delay by mistake on to what was next to nothing worth listening to and it could be said this was the beginning of dance music as we know it and perfect example of original. From a recording of a 1953 gospel song Moby produced this Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad - Moby [HD] - YouTube not to every ones taste but proves value to sampling/composing. i recently sampled the start of this I dont wanna set the world on fire + lyrics - YouTube into a dub step mix and this is like 1940's. now I'm not too up on sample only producers but sure this thread mentioned a few worth checking out which I will also do...... inspiration is...

Back