Sampling Vinyl w/ Turntable or CD?

henkhakkebar

Superproducer
So i am busy producing my music for a pretty long time now, and, usually when i got a nice sample i can make a nice track out of it. With getting CD's from the local stores and library (free, 10 cd's a time with a huge collection). The thing is, I never find something i like to sample. Is this because the stuff on cd's does not contain a lot of these nice to sample songs, or am i not digging deep enough? Will getting a turntable and start sampling vinyl make a difference?

So, the question is, are there more interesting samples to find on vinyl than cd, or do i need to dig a bit deeper.

What I mostly like to sample is jazz and soul.

Thanks in advance!

a lot of so-called Jazz or Soul compilations on CD's are filled with nothing but junk IMO. I'd look on youtube for classic soul or jazz songs - find something you like, and then go about finding it. With vinyl, quality on older records can be a concern if they weren't taken care of properly or if your turntable doesn't have a high quality stylus. There are a lot of USB record player / recorders which only allow you to record at MP3 quality, not even .wav. I would say if you want the cleanest best sounding base for a sample, look for a CD and extract to 16-bit 44.1k .wav file.

sampling in general is very hit or miss but for the most part the stuff people sample tends to be from the late 60s to mid 70s with a few 80s tracks here and there. That being said yes a turntable would be a great resource since cds really didn't become popular until the 90s. I know I didn't get my first cd player until 1996 and most of my friends were around there too.

With experience sometimes you can tell within the first few songs whether or not the album will have anything worth sampling.

I don't mean this as in 'oh man this album sucks' ...I'm saying sometimes the entire band is always playing and they don't leave any open space in the intro or outro of their songs. If this is true for the first 4 tracks I've always found it to be true for the next 8 or whatever.

Dig deep...when you find a band you like...try out the other bands on the same record label.

thanks for all reply's - will try finding one secondhand, that said is there anything specific i need to watch for, keep in mind i am only 15 years old and have no experience with vinyl or whatsoever, thanks!

Since your 15, you shouldnt trip too much on the turntable you choose. I got a $100 Numark TTUSB. It's belt drive so you can't really scratch with it a lot...keep that in mind with belt-drives. But it sounds good to me. it can record into your computer easily and it has a +/- 10 percent pitch shifter along with the option to play at 45 RPM. (Along with your standard 33 1/3) Came with a plastic 45 adapter too. (45s are like singles for vinyl records)
There's a few other cheap ones out there that I've heard good things about...

With experience sometimes you can tell within the first few songs whether or not the album will have anything worth sampling.

I don't mean this as in 'oh man this album sucks' ...I'm saying sometimes the entire band is always playing and they don't leave any open space in the intro or outro of their songs. If this is true for the first 4 tracks I've always found it to be true for the next 8 or whatever.
I have actually found the opposite to be true

you just get a more warm sound with vinyl not a big enough difference to not e dig at all but a nice difference

you also get other great sounds from vinyl and most records only cost a dollar or two. depending where you live. go with vinyl. once you get into it, you won't go back.

a real important part of sampling is knowing WHAT and WHO you're sampling.. every era is different, depending on the sound you're looking for, and a little research on eras of music, you'll spend less time wasting time going through music you won't want to sample.. jus stick with it, once you find something you like, look for stuff similar to it whether it be recorded around the same time or maybe similar artists.

Last edited:
Back