Sampling Vinyl Records

GoldenFox

I want to sample Vinyl but I'm concerned about copyright. I may want to make money off of it so it wouldn't be just for fun. I mean you can tweak a sample so much you can't tell what its from, but I want to be legit about it.

Kudos to you for wanting to go straight. We often hear "forget about it," but if you're planning an actual release, that is not an advisable position.

You will need to clear your samples through a sample clearing-house. Here is an article that you may find interesting: Everything You Need To Know About Clearing Samples ...

If you can afford it, you might consider a studio session with some musicians to recreate the sample you want to use. In that case, you may only need to pay for the usage on the actual copyright for the song only, rather than also paying for the master license. Then again, depending on what it is, you might not have to pay at all (if it's a short drumbeat, for instance).

GJ

Do you mean crackle, hiss, scratches, surface noise? Not a problem; lots of good samples out there, or make your own (nobody will sue you for sampling a locked-groove at the end of an LP.

Do you mean, analog, "warm," full bass and mid-range, not brittle or overly loud or compressed? Real instruments, or real grooves with less machine-like precision? Perform, record, mix, and master that way. It can be done. But you can also pay for the full sample (publishing and master rights); all in how you want to go about it.

GJ

PS-- An expensive and time-consuming possibility would be how some of the old-school guys would do it-- recreate the sample in the studio, then actually have it pressed to vinyl as a one-off. Difficult to do nowadays, but that's also an option. I've been looking for a home lathe (they used to make them) that was affordable for quite a few years...

Last edited:
Do you mean crackle, hiss, scratches, surface noise? Not a problem; lots of good samples out there, or make your own (nobody will sue you for sampling a locked-groove at the end of an LP.

Do you mean, analog, "warm," full bass and mid-range, not brittle or overly loud or compressed? Real instruments, or real grooves with less machine-like precision?

Basically all synths and drum machines/samples, I mainly make experimental/glitch/ambient/downtempo/dubstep/video game , electronic music.

I just use digital for now because a analog studio is expensive. I basically order vintage hardware off ebay, (compressors/EQ/etc.) and synths. But I've only got a few pieces because I'm poor. Tape decks, vinyl sampling, cassettes, you get the idea, old warm sound. When you experiment and link all this stuff together you get some unique sounds. Pipe it all into my Daw on my Mac and clean it up.

Back