sampling vinyl directly into ableton vs audio editor or other program

C

cinema

Is it OK for me to record from vinyl right into ableton or should I use audacity or something? Right now I am recording right into abletons session view then sending it to session view and cropping it how I want and then exporting it as a wav... What does everyone think of this?

In terms of maximizing quality its best to keep warping off right? How about if I have to warp? Should I use complex pro or is it just best to avoid warping all together?

All suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

to do all my archiving, i use adobe audition. its a fairly good program and very easy to use and allows you to record at 24/96 to capture almost all of the information (some may think this is overkill, but if your putting in the time to record you may as well do it as best as you can)

i think audacity is a useless program, probably because it always records mono on my computer for some reason.

if your recording into ableton, i would advise you to avoid warping altogether. leave the track in its original state and if your sampling you can always warp later.

its not like your computer is going to blow up or you will go to jail or lose your live license if u sample into it or anything. there is no penalty lol

The main thing I am concerned about is the quality. I have never even heard of that bit about 24/ 96 do you mean 24 bit and 96000 as opposed to 44 000 or whatever those quality settings are?

The software itself will not affect sound quality. its your audio interface/soundcard that's processing the sound that will affect it. That said buy the highest quality audio interface that you can afford but even a cheap one will work just fine quality wise. A low end card like a Lexicon Alpha that I am running costs like $80 and can compete with the sound quality of a lot of hardware samplers that people still lean on today. Worry less about sound quality and more about execution.

The main thing I am concerned about is the quality. I have never even heard of that bit about 24/ 96 do you mean 24 bit and 96000 as opposed to 44 000 or whatever those quality settings are?

yes, 24/96 refers to 24 bit and 96 khz sampling rate. the larger bit and khz just means the computer is taking in more information (more of the song) than it would at, say, 16 bit 44.1 khz

like someone said, software isn't the major factor when ripping vinyl. the software you need just depends on

1. what you find the most user friendly
2. what gives you the best sampling rate

some programs only allow you to record at 16/44 which you may find is easier to use, while some may allow 32/192 but you may dislike the software. it all depends on what you want.

with ableton, i dont know what sampling rates you can use which is why i suggested adobe audition.. very easy to use, can sample at 32/96 so its perfect for recording vinyl.

like xabiton said above, the software wont make the sound quality any better, it will just determine how much information can be "captured" when digitizing. also like xabiton said, make sure your setup is good as this will affect the sound quality. i run a technics 1210mk5 with an ortofon arkiv needle into a traktor audio 8 external soundcard (via rca cables) which then runs to the computer (via rca cables). the traktor audio 8 can record at 24/96, has a phono pre-amp built in and is a very good soundcard. ive also read good reviews about the e-mu 0404 soundcard, which can record at 24/192 and also has a built in pre-amp, although i dont know if its an internal or external soundcard.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok just as a clarification when you say "sampling at" a certain rate is this the same as the setting for exporting a song? I mean, I record form vinyl, crop the loop and then when I export as a wav a window comes up with all the choices (mine is usually 24 bit and sampling rate 48000) is this what you all mean or is there some other setting that has to do with audio coming into the computer?

ok just as a clarification when you say "sampling at" a certain rate is this the same as the setting for exporting a song? I mean, I record form vinyl, crop the loop and then when I export as a wav a window comes up with all the choices (mine is usually 24 bit and sampling rate 48000) is this what you all mean or is there some other setting that has to do with audio coming into the computer?

yes. when i say "sampling at" i mean the sampling rates you have put as your settings for recording (ie 24/96, 16/44, 24/44 or in your case, 24/48

Back