Sampling vinyl confusion!

jstevens007

Hi there,

My little hobby of producing is fast becoming a bit of an addiction, so Iv gone out and bought a whole bunch of equipment with the main goal of producing tracks of better/production quality, and specifically to start sampling vinyl. Iv bought monitors, interface and pre amp. Iv set everything up so its finally working but when i sample records it just sounds shit, poor quality.

I realise what I am telling you is vague, but the specific question I am trying to find out is - to sample vinyl, does one need to buy a really good turntable, or can you get away with something second hand? Iv just been using this old sanyo one in my house which sounds ok when its played through its own amp, but then when recorded its shit. I took the record to my mates house whos a dj with quality turntables and sampled there and it sounded great.

What are the important factors in sampling with good quality? interface, software, settings?

So yeh, I intend to buy a turntable/record player myself so i have one in my room, but I just want to know if i gotta fork out for it - do i need to get one of really high quality? What did you spend on yours? Did you get one second hand?

(my set up is all brand new mackie 5 inch monitors, and maudio fast track pro interface, and pre amp - but not even sure if i need a pre amp)

Hope to hear from fellow producers!

How is your turntable connected? you might be feeding a phono output into a line in or something similar. If you are outputting phono, you can use a dJ mixer or a cheap phono preamp to get it to line level. Make sure the turntable is grounded as well of course.

My current turntable is an old Pioneer I found on the side of the road, so you don't need a super expensive TT, but you do need to maintain it. If its old it may need a new stylus.

Let us know if you have any more specific questions

fdfretgfwe

i have 2 technics 1200s m447 styli with a vestax pmc 05 mixer that i scratch with.

mine were second hand but were in good condition. they last very long. both turntables and a mixer for 700. very lucky. off of craigslist.

old vinyl records have that buzz/crackle sound. u can clean it.
i just got my wire today to connect to my mpc, so i will let u know when i figure this out. what program do u record into and what software do u have?

Last edited:
Hey jstevens I'm gonna jump in pre-emptively and suggest this is probably what you need, before a bunch of people jump in and start confusing you. I'm 95% sure this is your problem.

BEHRINGER: PP400

if you working on a a surface with both turntable and monitors on the volume could effect it many factors to consider

1) equipment
2) quality of the vinyl's
3) pre amp settings.... I've not used one but sure if you not got it set right it will have an effect
4) just a maybe but you may need to get your ears accustomed to the sound of them.... going from digital to vinyl must be the like going from vinyl to gramophone.... well not that drastic but you get my drift

Post a clip 10 seconds or less so we can hear the issue. i am sure its not grounded right or something.

Back