Sampling from unsigned artist

A

adammoro

Hey y'all.
I would like to know is it legal to sample "not popular" songs. I mean from unrecognizable artist without fame, not signed anywhere. I found dope loop on youtube and I would like to use it in my song. Is there some legal issues?
Anyway, I'm taking in consideration that one day it could be put on CD nad don't know what think about it.

And what about permission? Is it just "Yes" or "not" in e-mail messages?

you can sample anything as long as the song doesn't blow up.. then people will come calling.. if your song doesn't blow up.. they won't sue for nothing

i'm not even sure if it's illegal if they don't have the song copy-written which could be the case.
you can sample anything you want, unless your making serious or billboard hit money nobodys gonna sue you
and even if they could sue you doesn't mean they would, it would cost them a lot of money just to start that process

i'm not even sure if it's illegal if they don't have the song copy-written which could be the case.

Copyright is automatic, even if it is not registered in the US. Most other countries don't even have a system like that. And sampling without permission may result in getting sued, no matter if it blows up or not. It's about immaterial rights so you may still end up paying quite a bit even if it was something you were giving away for free. Of course, the thing is that the copyright owners need to hear the sampled work, so popularity matters..

^exactly^

it is illegal period, no ifs or buts or maybes - it is illegal and it is known as theft of intellectual and recorded property

Last edited:
Back